1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual DVC project underway

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KyleGS, Apr 15, 2004.

1. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Here's a little project I started yesterday. Thought you guys may like a gander.

It's going to house dual DVC 12's. Three 3in ports tuned to ~ 25 and 20hz blocking one port. Its a passive design and is 5 cf net.

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

well i am glad you are having nice weather, I hate mud season worst 3 months of the year

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Nice work. The eggcrate foam inside is a nice touch...different as opposed to polyfil stapled to the sides.

One question. You went thru the trouble of countersinking the ports. Why not the subs themselves? A doubled front of two x 3/4" MDF would work. Just a thought. Or maybe the subs will be covered by a grill of some sort?

I see a box project and I get all excited. :b

Oh...those port holes look a lot bigger than 3"! 5", maybe?

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I do have double baffle it just wasn't in the pic. I rounded the back side of the mounting baffle also. I like the look of the flushed out flared ports. You're right...when I saw the size of the port holes I thought they were pretty large for a 3" port.

BTW- its not easy fitting 3 ports, 2 drivers and lots of bracing in a 5 cf box. [​IMG]
    I had to break out the recip saw. [​IMG]

5. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Ah. OK. [​IMG] When I first saw the pics, I thought to myself: "Gee, he seems to know what he's doing...why no countersunk, double-baffle for the driver?"

Obviously, I was right. You know what you're doing. [​IMG]

Good luck and please post lots more pics. Pics are good.

6. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

UPDATE:

Thought I would post a few more pics for those interested. Forgot to add that this will double as an end table and will have a 1/4" slab of ceramic tile countersunk onto the top. The rest will be textured black. I have the option to face the subs outward, three flared ports outward, or a plain front face with a nice clean emblem on the bottom (centered)...dependent on my mood and company. [​IMG]

PIC 1
    PIC 2 - see rounded top edges
    PIC 3
    PIC 4

PIC 5 - VERY wierd bracing -- but strong :p

PIC 6
    LAST pic- primed and sanded... ready for paint

7. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Anyone have any ideas for feet to this thing? I'm drawing a blank on this part of the project. I thought about a 2x4 block that tapers downward. All suggestions welcome.