What's new

Dual Disc Approved by DVD Forum!!! (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Saw this very encouraging news over on High Fidelity Review for Hi-res fans:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=12004614

It appears the tests went relatively well in the test markets, and the forum as decided to adopt the Dual Disc as a delivery format. One of the major time hang ups was finalizing marketing as well as waiting for the forum members to meet for approval.

Things are starting to make a lot of sense, especially with the recent lack of DVD-A releases, and releases moved back to August from most of the majors. Hopefully there is decent roll-out without too many recycled titles which have already come out on DVD-A or SA-CD.

To play devil's advocate, this (in addition to the royalty issue) may explain Sony's recent lack of SA-CD releases, and their reason for providing redbook only replacements for supposedly single inventory Hybrids such as the Dylan discs. Sony as a Dual-Disc supporter obviously approved this delivery format as well. :laugh:

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

This from the guy who relentlessly spammed the forum with multiple DSotM SACD threads and we had to have a mod consolidate them.

If anything, this is a different topic and deserves its own thread. Many interested people might miss it if it is confined to a thread with a completely different subject.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
This definitely deserves it's own thread - it's a big enough announcement and is certainly a different topic than Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

The labels have to do the single-inventory thing for this to have any hope of success - and it has the "DVD" aspect to draw people in.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like great news to me!! (And I appreciate the new thread -- I wans't reading the BluRay thread.)

I'm interested in Hi-res audio but have yet to take the plunge. I'm reluctant to add another piece of stand-alone hardware to my system. I was pleased to discover, when I last upgraded the soundcard in my HTPC, that DVD-A playback capability was included at no extra cost. Unfortunately, most of the titles that I'm interested in appear to be on SACD. :frowning: I would be so thrilled if Sony and others were to adopt this Dual-Disc format. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Next time I will look for a specific topic in a totally unrelated thread :rolleyes

Hopefully this means more Hi-res releases from Sony and Warner. This year Sony has put out more titles on Dual-Discs than new SACD :eek:. Maybe this will become their new format of choice, if the trends continue.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I think it will mean more releases both Super Audio and DualDisc. I wonder though if standard DVDA is finished. It seems like this could possibly become the ongoing DVDA format.

The key now is for Warner to step up to the plate and release some big titles in the format. I have my doubts as to how much investment any of the labels will put into this. I also wonder about how confusing having three formats must look to the consumer.

Nevertheless, I hope we get some Van Morrison in hirez.

This could also lead to more SACD titles in my opinion. Competition is healthy. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
This is GREAT news for all hi-res fans! Hopefully this will lead to current albums in hi-res! :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

It will be if the dual disc is actually 5.1 hi-rez on the DVD side. I don't think the test market titles were hi-rez, were they?

BGL

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian:

Some were, some weren't.

I have Barenaked Ladies' Everything to Everyone which is 24bit/48K and 3 Doors Down Away From the Sun which is 24bit/96K that a friend was kind enough to send me from Seattle.

Cheers,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

That would require new hardware as 24/192 multichannel is not part of the DVD-A spec, nor do I think there is enough storage space for 24/192 on 5.1 channels. 24/48 or 24/96 is quite fine for multichannel and stereo for that matter if the original recording/mastering is top notch.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Good point Rachael. One of the major problems with SA-CD may very well be that it has CD in it's name. DVD is the hot new media on the block, and anything CD is generally viewed as "older" technology. Same problem plagues DVD-A. The format is easily confused with DVD-V and concert DVD.

What Dual-Disc does is give the opportunity for the labels to market a new format from the get go, which does not have DVD or CD in the name. This format also allows for multimedia content which is a big plus, and major drawback for SA-CD. With Sony not supporting DSD with their upcoming Blu-Ray players, Dual-Disc provides the opportunity for a unified Hi-res format for mainstream/pop titles. Regular old SA-CD will probably remain for the time being for audiophile type releases, but not as a single inventory mainstream delivery format (Dylan discs being replaced/supplemented with redbook only releases underscores this fact).

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I think costs will continue to drop for producing SACDs since replication capacity and know-how is expanding. I can see future remasters being issued in single inventory hybrid no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks