Dual Disc Approved by DVD Forum!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Justin Lane, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Saw this very encouraging news over on High Fidelity Review for Hi-res fans:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=12004614

It appears the tests went relatively well in the test markets, and the forum as decided to adopt the Dual Disc as a delivery format. One of the major time hang ups was finalizing marketing as well as waiting for the forum members to meet for approval.

Things are starting to make a lot of sense, especially with the recent lack of DVD-A releases, and releases moved back to August from most of the majors. Hopefully there is decent roll-out without too many recycled titles which have already come out on DVD-A or SA-CD.

To play devil's advocate, this (in addition to the royalty issue) may explain Sony's recent lack of SA-CD releases, and their reason for providing redbook only replacements for supposedly single inventory Hybrids such as the Dylan discs. Sony as a Dual-Disc supporter obviously approved this delivery format as well. [​IMG]

J

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Justin,

I already posted this on the BluRay thread. You of all people should know better.

3. Michael St. Clair

This from the guy who relentlessly spammed the forum with multiple DSotM SACD threads and we had to have a mod consolidate them.

If anything, this is a different topic and deserves its own thread. Many interested people might miss it if it is confined to a thread with a completely different subject.

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

This definitely deserves it's own thread - it's a big enough announcement and is certainly a different topic than Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

The labels have to do the single-inventory thing for this to have any hope of success - and it has the "DVD" aspect to draw people in.

I guess we'll see what happens.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

This sounds like great news to me!! (And I appreciate the new thread -- I wans't reading the BluRay thread.)

I'm interested in Hi-res audio but have yet to take the plunge. I'm reluctant to add another piece of stand-alone hardware to my system. I was pleased to discover, when I last upgraded the soundcard in my HTPC, that DVD-A playback capability was included at no extra cost. Unfortunately, most of the titles that I'm interested in appear to be on SACD. [​IMG] I would be so thrilled if Sony and others were to adopt this Dual-Disc format. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Justin Lane

Next time I will look for a specific topic in a totally unrelated thread [​IMG]

Hopefully this means more Hi-res releases from Sony and Warner. This year Sony has put out more titles on Dual-Discs than new SACD [​IMG]. Maybe this will become their new format of choice, if the trends continue.

J

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Thanks for posting Justin, I would have missed this otherwise.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I think it will mean more releases both Super Audio and DualDisc. I wonder though if standard DVDA is finished. It seems like this could possibly become the ongoing DVDA format.

The key now is for Warner to step up to the plate and release some big titles in the format. I have my doubts as to how much investment any of the labels will put into this. I also wonder about how confusing having three formats must look to the consumer.

Nevertheless, I hope we get some Van Morrison in hirez.

This could also lead to more SACD titles in my opinion. Competition is healthy. [​IMG]

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Can Sony put an SACD on one side and a CD on the other? Possible?

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    It is possible, but why do it?

The SACD allows both WITHOUT flipping the disc. That's easier for the consumer.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, it wouldn't be the first time a product was repackaged in an effort to make it SELL.

12. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

This is GREAT news for all hi-res fans! Hopefully this will lead to current albums in hi-res! [​IMG]

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

That would be fine except the economics would probably not be doable as replicating machines and other gear would need to be changed.

14. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

It will be if the dual disc is actually 5.1 hi-rez on the DVD side. I don't think the test market titles were hi-rez, were they?

BGL

15. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Brian:

Some were, some weren't.

I have Barenaked Ladies' Everything to Everyone which is 24bit/48K and 3 Doors Down Away From the Sun which is 24bit/96K that a friend was kind enough to send me from Seattle.

Cheers,

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Does DualDisc allow for 5.1 24/192k recording?

Did they fix that part of the DVDA specification?

It would be great if they did...

17. Justin Lane

That would require new hardware as 24/192 multichannel is not part of the DVD-A spec, nor do I think there is enough storage space for 24/192 on 5.1 channels. 24/48 or 24/96 is quite fine for multichannel and stereo for that matter if the original recording/mastering is top notch.

J

18. Justin Lane

Good point Rachael. One of the major problems with SA-CD may very well be that it has CD in it's name. DVD is the hot new media on the block, and anything CD is generally viewed as "older" technology. Same problem plagues DVD-A. The format is easily confused with DVD-V and concert DVD.

What Dual-Disc does is give the opportunity for the labels to market a new format from the get go, which does not have DVD or CD in the name. This format also allows for multimedia content which is a big plus, and major drawback for SA-CD. With Sony not supporting DSD with their upcoming Blu-Ray players, Dual-Disc provides the opportunity for a unified Hi-res format for mainstream/pop titles. Regular old SA-CD will probably remain for the time being for audiophile type releases, but not as a single inventory mainstream delivery format (Dylan discs being replaced/supplemented with redbook only releases underscores this fact).

J

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I think costs will continue to drop for producing SACDs since replication capacity and know-how is expanding. I can see future remasters being issued in single inventory hybrid no problem.

20. Michael St. Clair

What is the unifying format? Blu-Ray, which completely ignores DSD?