dual cs16-46+ in a 12 x 30 x 8 ft room???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

I was just wondering how dual 16-46+'s would perform in this size of a room. Would it be overkill to the point they would just cancel each other out??? Or would you be rewarded with gut liquefying bass if set up correctly? My room doesn't have any large opening to other parts of the house so its totally enclosed. And also has anyone ever setup dual SVS subs on a small enclosed room>?

2. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

3000 cf would border on small to large IMO, no openings help, you might be able to reach reference with one sub.

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i'm already getting pretty good bass response on my studio 20's alone. But you know[​IMG] i want bass that will make my 12 yr old sister cry!!!! [​IMG]

4. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

Salvador,
    I have dual 16-46CS+’s in a room that’s only about 1,500 cubic feet, so just over half the size of your room. I have them set a couple of dB’s hot, and I can still easily surpass reference volume. It’s a pretty amazing sound. In no way do they cancel each other out. In fact, their outputs are combined so that each individual sub doesn’t have to play as hard to produce a given SPL level as just one would by itself.
    But I hardly ever listen that loud, except when showing off for myself or my friends, so you could argue that the pair IS overkill in my current room. However, I bought the pair in anticipation of a Home Theater room more along the size of yours. I’m hoping soon to add on a room to my home that’ll be around 3,000 cu. ft. I’m VERY glad I went ahead and spent the extra $$ to get a pair, since I get to enjoy them in all their EXTREME glory right now, and when I move them into the larger room, they’ll still be up to the job. But they won’t be overkill. As Tom or Ron will freely admit, you’ve pretty much got to have this much horsepower if you want to be able to fill a room that size with really strong bass (approaching reference volume). While just one SVS will be pretty impressive, two will make your 12 year old sister cry (along with all your buddies who THOUGHT they knew what good bass sounded like). [​IMG]
    Hope my experience helps.
    David

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

thanks for the input david. When the funds allow, i might just settle for one, see how it goes and if it doesn't cut the mustard i'll go ahead and get another one. I rememeber reading somewhere that you have a certain timeframe (1 month?) that you could still obtain the dual svs discount even after you have bought just one sub if it doesn't meet your needs. Well anwyay 1500 cubic feet and dual?? Wow that must be really gut wrenching in such a small enclosed room. But hey, anything to feed the ravenous home theater addict inside of you![​IMG]

6. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

I've got twin 20-39CS+s in my 1800 square ft. room. It too is technically overkill but it sure is fun. Gut wrenching? You bet.