Dual coax cable for s-video?? What one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Westly T, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I was thinking of running S-video to my old big screen form my system downstairs system. I thought of using two coax cables for the run and wanted to know what Ohm, cable type is correct? 75Ohm? RG-6, RG-8, RG-58, /U ???

I have plugs that can mount in a wall plate ready, so I just need the cable. The run will be 15'-20'.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You must use 75 ohm coax for video. But both RG6 and RG59 are 75 ohms so either will work.
    I just found an old article that shows Synergy makes some SVideo adaptor cables. It has 2 wires with "F" connectors that flow into a SVideo connector in a "Y" shape. Get a pair of these and make your own.
    www.synergisticresearch.com

3. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I used RG6 in the walls and attached a 2" piece of S-video coax at the ends. I soldered the center wire of the s-video cable to the coax, insulated it, and used metal tape to shield it. Then I twisted the shielding parts together and used a crimp connector because the solder would not stick to the shielding wire on the RG6, then more metal tape and electrical tape. Then the S-video cable was soldered to the S-video plugs I got. The plugs were mounted in wall plates and the results are excellent with out any noticeable signal loss.

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

These are available on e-bay and better still from Avcable.com

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Making wires is very labor-intensive. While I encourage making your own CATV and RCA cables, the SVideo cables are much more difficult.

They are very tiny connectors, with tiny wires and some strict shielding/spacing requirements. It's generally not recommended to "roll your own" unless you are an electrical tech.

6. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

Where can the S-video/coax adaptor cables be purchased?

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, the link to Synergestic Research is one place. Here is a guy on eBay who does the same thing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1333904308
    I'm not personally endorcing this seller, but I like what he has to say for several of his other auctions.
    If you buy from him, let us know how it goes.

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Avcable.com sells both the S-video break out cable and the BNC coax cables. Very good pricing with top quality broadcast cables (Gepco)