Dual center channels

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanJE, Mar 15, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Run dual centers with a parallel hook up? One on top and one on bottom. What do you think of this??

2. John S

John S Producer

This comes up fairly often here....

a. Just know it can cause some cancellation issues and actually hurt things.

b. Running one channel in 4 ohms is usually no problem for most AVR's that don't claim to work with 4 ohm speakers, but if your AVR / AMP doesn't specifically state it is ok, you are certainly running at least a great risk of failure on the channel.

c. No real reason not to try it in my opinion

d. I run dual centers with good results.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

what do you mean. I have a 1014 it could handle the load couldnt it? How much improvement did you notice. ( not much, some, decent amount, great improvement)? the reason I ask is because ive noticed that depending on the placement it provides different effects. top placement exaggerates high picture sounds. Bottom exaggerates low picture sounds.

4. John S

John S Producer

Does the 1014 state it works with 4 ohm speaker loads? If so, you run no greater risk of failure. If not you are definetly adding some risk, but as I said most AVR's wouldn't even really know if only 1 channel was 4 ohms.

They list impeadence as nominal because at different frequncies the impeadence is actually very different as in even an 8 ohm speaker probably hits 4 ohms or even less often. But then again if your starting at 4 ohms, it will dip down below 2 ohms at certain frequncies.

Best of luck with it, if you do try it, come back and post up your results. [​IMG]

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I run my mids below and a single tweeter above my 124" 16:9 screen!

The tweet above brings the sound up to the center of the screen. This is a trick a Rockford Fosgate rep taught me!

Wes

6. John S

John S Producer

That is a coolio idea for sure there Wes.. I like it!!