What's new

Dual Booting Question & Floppy Problem (1 Viewer)

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got my new system built and all is working fine, except for the floppy drive. Anyway, since I had no A drive, I just loaded Win2K from the bootable cd. My question is: how do I successfully load Win98 so I can play some of my favorite older games? I haven't tried playing them in 2000 though. Will I screw something up if I try and they don't play? Or can I use the compatability mode to make them work?
As for the floppy drive, I've swapped out 2 different models. My BIOS and Win2K detects the drive and shows no errors or conflicts. But when I insert a disk or point an install there, Win2K tells me to insert a disk. I have tried several different floppies. I am getting power as well. Other than swapping out data cables, what should I do?
Any comments or suggestions are openly welcomed.

HenryL

Auditioning
If you want to run 2k and 98 off a dual boot system, you can do that. But I think you have to install the older OS first(so 98 before 2k).

Trying the game won't hurt your system.

Maybe you have a dead disk drive. I've had a few go bad on me. Just grab a new one for like 10 bucks.

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator
Henry is right, you have to install 98 first, then 2K will detect the older OS and set up the dual boot stuff for you. Just about every game you have that worked in 98 should work in 2K. Make sure you have all the latest 2K drivers for all you components and you shouldn't have any problems.
As for the floppy... Who cares, they're useless bloody things anyway! :)
Uh, I mean, try a different data cable, if that doesn't help, then I'm stumped. Try accessing the floppy through a command prompt. Get your dual boot set up then try through 98. It's probably a hardware issue, but you never know, unless you try everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks