Dual bookselves instead of Center Channel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

How come nobody ever posts about running dual bookshelves instead of a single center channel?

I can understand the receiver only crowd not doing so, since they only have one center channel amp, but many people here run some form of a separates setup. Specifically, most people here are all for separate amplification.

Given that CCs are such compromises, why not dual mono bookshelves? Bookshelves can often be placed on the TV as easily as a CC, or they can be stand mounted behind and slightly to the side of the TV. They can also go on stands in front of the TV below.

The center channel is arguably the most important channel in the whole HT. Almost all the dialog, and 65% of the music and effects end up here. [According to an unattributed source... sorry.]

Martin.

EDIT: ARG!!! Can a moderator please correct the spelling of "bookselves" in the title? How embarassing! Thanks!

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i think one bookshelf speaker would work just as well, if not better than its matching center channel. i don't see the need for two.

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Jason,

Much like bi-amping, I would expect dual speakers with dual amps to run 6dB louder, allowing for greater headroom and clarity.

Also, speakers are usually sold in pairs, so why not take advantage of them both?

I don't believe that cancellation would be an issue at higher frequencies. I would be interested to know if anybody knows otherwise.

Martin.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

As long as they are sheilded, It should work just fine.

5. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Might work but really, 1 single bookshelf that matches your mains will do just fine, why bother with both? If it's because you have to buy 2 why not use the second bookshelf as the surround back in a 6.1 configuration?

I think the WAF has a lot to do with the centre channel thing.

I ended up with a Centre (Arguably one of the best Studio CC) I COULD put a bookshelf as I am running Front Projection but really it sounds amazing so I don't see the point now.