What's new

Dual 8'' Subwoofer Setup help (1 Viewer)

BG Enjoi

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Vest
Hey guys this is my first post here. I know this is probably not the right section to post this but I need some help building a sub woofer setup.

Okay so I have a 5.1 system right now and my sub is weak from 50hz+ and my speakers don't start to pick up very well until 70-80hz. I am try to help "fill" that gap with a speaker that can produce sound in that range well. I would like to build a dual 8'' sub woofer setup to accompany my 12'' Polk audio sub. I was thinking of using two Tang Band W8-740C 8" sub woofer's and power them with a Dayton SA240 240W sub woofer amp. If someone could tell me what volume I need for two of these subs that would help me sooo much. The box that I am going to build is going to sit atop my Polk sub and the two 8" subs will "hang" over the sides, and the amp will be mounted on the top of the Polk sub. Sorry it might not make much sense how I am explaining it, I would draw a diagram on my computer but all I have is paint :D ! If you want me to draw something I can..

The things I need to know are; how good the tang band subs are, and what volume will be required. I think that amp should power the two subs well, and from reviews it seems to be very good. If you all have any information that might help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. I forgot to mention that I have a Sony STR-DG500. How would I hook up the Dayton amp to my receiver if my sub woofer line off of my Sony receiver is being used. I do have a surround back channel that is free, would I be able to simply hook it up to that channel or would the 110 watts blow the amp up? I also have speaker B plugs that are open, its left and right channel. Sorry I am a noob when it comes to amp wiring...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a thought, how about replacing the Polk with a real sub and selling the Polk? Polk's forte isn't subs.

To use an additional sub, you would simply use a y splitter from the sub pre-out to send signal to each of them, but the real problem will be tuning between the two. You will either have to design a high pass into this unit to allow you to blend it with your existing sub.

HSU just came out with the MBM-12, which is almost exactly what you are talking about.

BG Enjoi

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Vest
I am planning to just replace the sub and amp on my Polk box, and then I would use my dual 8's on another stereo system I have. This is a temporary fix that I can utilize later. Also I want more bass, like I said a temporary fix.

With the Y splitter is that just a RCA splitter?

I changed my mind about the box, I am just going to make a rectangle box. Could someone help me determine the volume required of the box?

Thanks,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks