What's new

Dual 8" 100 watt Subwoofer setup Question.... (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

I have seen similar threads on here, but this situation is a little different.

In my theater i have the Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1 sound setup, and it sounds absolutely phenominal. The 100 watt 8" sub is located under the TV stand.....it seems to give the best response here.

Someone gave me a Jensen JS800 100 watt 8" subwoofer. I would love to have them setup so that i can have a dual subwoofer setup. My receiver has dual sub output that use the same channel, so there's not a problem of hooking them up -- i just am not sure if i should out both under the tv stand (not sure if they'll cancel each other out at all). or if i should put one in the back of the room.... i am also worried about the fact that they are different brands....i shoudl probably test and set them to have the same level of audible output -- that way one isn't stronger than the other..... i am excited, but a bit confused..... i realy appreciate your help.... the room is 18 by 30, but i sit 12 feet from the tv wall....

Thanks,

Matt
([email protected])

SteveCallas

Second Unit
If they are going to be right next to each other, I doubt they will cancel each other out. However, as a test, I would try collocating them near a corner and compare that to under the tv stand. As far as having problems with two different brands, I'm pretty sure you will be ok because they are both pretty low level 100 watt 8" subs, neither probably goes well below the other. Just use a spl meter to make sure you have them both set at the same level.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If it were my decision to make, I would shoot for the colocated approach in that size room Matt. Calibrate each sub individually with the the SW setting on your receiver constant. What I'm trying to say is use your gain/volume on your subs to calibrate and leave your SW gain on your receiver alone. -5 to -3 or there abouts if your range is -10 to + 10. Calibrate each sub to -6db under calibration. After calibration fire both of them up and take a calibration reading. You should be very close. Any tweaking from here can now be done on your receiver SW setting. If you have a bass disk with different Hz test tones, we can go further with this if you like? You should definitely gain headroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks