What's new

Dual 5.1 input question (1 Viewer)

I am thinking about purchasing the RP91 DVD player (that also plays DVD-A). I am also thinking about getting the Sony SCD-333ES (which is a SACD player).
This leads me to my question. If I understand everything correctly both SACD and DVD-A require a 5.1 "wide bandwidth" input on the receiver. I have been considering either a Denon 2802, or perhaps the upcoming Onkyo 600. Both only have one 5.1 input.
So, is it possible to use some kind of splitter so that I can hook both up to the reciever? I really don't know anything about HT but what I have read here, so if this sounds dumb I apologize :).
I don't want any solutions that are expensive, after all I am only looking to spend $600 on both my CD player and DVD player combined.
P.S. Why no inexpensive universal players? If I can buy a seperate 5-disc SACD player and a DVD player that is compatible with DVD-A for ~$500 why can't I just get the whole package together?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
as far as using a splitter...don't. keithh and many others have previously stated that it doesn't work well. if you'll look in ricp's post just a few lines down...keith gives his recommendation of what to use. as far as a universal player, the only "decent" one i know of is the pioneer elite dv-47a which should be out by now. you can get it for $750 delivered at soundpros.com.

kevin t

Oops, sorry. I didn't see that post. I have been spending a lot of time here lately trying to figure out what all I need/want to get in order to put together a completer HT. I have learned, from a basic time-management stand point to ignore the posts that don't seem to have a direct relevance to what I am interested in. I guess this does mean that I occasionally overlook valuable posts.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew said:

I am thinking about purchasing the RP91 DVD player (that also plays DVD-A). I am also thinking about getting the Sony SCD-333ES (which is a SACD player).
I am a bit confused. Are you in the US or Canada? The Sony SCD-C333ES is a stereo SACD carousel changer only offered in North America, but it is no longer in production. Getting a new one is tough these days. The main point is that as a stereo player, it has no 5.1-channel outputs. Are you confusing the 'C333ES with the 'C555ES multi-channel SACD changer or the 'XA333ES single-disc multi-channel SACD player? The 'XA333ES is only available overseas.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You can get an outboard switching device. The new Sony ES Receivers also have 2 multi-channel inputs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks