Dual 5.1 input question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_Judd, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Matthew_Judd

Matthew_Judd Extra

I am thinking about purchasing the RP91 DVD player (that also plays DVD-A). I am also thinking about getting the Sony SCD-333ES (which is a SACD player).
    This leads me to my question. If I understand everything correctly both SACD and DVD-A require a 5.1 "wide bandwidth" input on the receiver. I have been considering either a Denon 2802, or perhaps the upcoming Onkyo 600. Both only have one 5.1 input.
    So, is it possible to use some kind of splitter so that I can hook both up to the reciever? I really don't know anything about HT but what I have read here, so if this sounds dumb I apologize [​IMG].
    I don't want any solutions that are expensive, after all I am only looking to spend $600 on both my CD player and DVD player combined.
    P.S. Why no inexpensive universal players? If I can buy a seperate 5-disc SACD player and a DVD player that is compatible with DVD-A for ~$500 why can't I just get the whole package together?

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

as far as using a splitter...don't. keithh and many others have previously stated that it doesn't work well. if you'll look in ricp's post just a few lines down...keith gives his recommendation of what to use. as far as a universal player, the only "decent" one i know of is the pioneer elite dv-47a which should be out by now. you can get it for $750 delivered at soundpros.com.

kevin t

3. Matthew_Judd

Matthew_Judd Extra

Oops, sorry. I didn't see that post. I have been spending a lot of time here lately trying to figure out what all I need/want to get in order to put together a completer HT. I have learned, from a basic time-management stand point to ignore the posts that don't seem to have a direct relevance to what I am interested in. I guess this does mean that I occasionally overlook valuable posts.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matthew said:

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can get an outboard switching device. The new Sony ES Receivers also have 2 multi-channel inputs too.