Dual 20 39cs system or 1 PB2-plus?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Marc Angeles, May 7, 2003.

1. Marc Angeles

Marc Angeles Stunt Coordinator

Right now I have one 20-39cs powered by one channel of an adcom 200 watt amp. I was thinking about selling the sub and getting the new PB2-plus. Just wondering, would adding another 20-39cs running off of the other channel of the adcom come close to the performance of one PB2-plus? Space is not an issue so 2 cylinders won't be a problem and I could save some money. I do prefer the the look of box subs and with the built in amp, I could clear up some space in my rack. Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Marc

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Twin co-located 20-39CS powered with 200 watts each will be down about 6 dB in max SPL compared to a single PB2-Plus in the 20 Hz tune.

If you upped your power to 350 watts per channel, you might close the gap to 4-5 dB, but no closer than that.

Hope this helps you make the right decision.

Regards,

Ed

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Marc:

I really like the convience of a sub with a built in poweramp. It sounds to me like you really like the looks of the PB2. I would be in the camp of selling my single CS and going with the PB2. That is my own personal opinion though.

Parker

4. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I agree with Parker, and you can't ignore the performance difference brought up by Ed. If the PB2 had been out when I was purchasing a sub, I would have probably went with it rather than the Mirage BPS-400. This sub looks like a real winner!!

5. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Marc,
    I assume your Adcom amp is 200w @ 8ohms and 350w @ 4ohms so I think you'd be very close to the performance of a PB2 for a whole lot less money. You won't get near full value for your amp and sub (and a lot of hassle). Better off asking Tom V if you really are thinking about it.

Mitch

6. Marc Angeles

Marc Angeles Stunt Coordinator

Your right Mitch. I know that I won't get the same performance, but if it is close, I'll be happy. Right now, it's really up in the air whether I will take the plunge and get the PB-2. Finding a used 2039 in the hardware section would be very tempting though.