What's new

Dual 1229 (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Inherited a Dual 1229. It was at one point (about a year ago) in decent condition, it suffered during the move to the States. I grew up with this unit, I have many fond memories listening to some great music sourcing from it.

I am trying to locate a place that is capable of doing a really good repair on this type of unit - and an idea of how much it'll cost. It is among the most popular models ever built by Dual, and I do have a little bit of vinyl that I like to listen to. This is quite the TT, so I want to use it!

Would appreciate any suggestions, esp. if anyone knows of a good place around Houston. Alternatively, I can do some repairs myself, but have never worked on a TT. And I'd rather not mess it up.

Anyone else drive one of these?

Thanks,

Mike

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
hey, i had one of those! 1229Q, right? nice TT. sorry, dont know of any repair places. i recently went through my 1245, cleaned and lubed where needed. try it yourself. if its already not working, you cant make it much worse, right? well, maybe you can. just be careful, and do only what makes sense.

ag.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Found a place called The Turntable Factory in SC that seems to do a bang-up job on this kind of work. May cost me a couple hundred, but so what - these are one of a kind. Plus it's been in use in my family for over 32 years... I grew up listening to my childhood music and then general music appreciation sourced from this specific turntable...

LOL, their shipping instructions are something else to behold, but since they're dead serious about it, then so will I...

Thanks for checking in, and the best wishes. This unit has worked flawlessly in 2 continents for 30+ years; would like to add another 30 in a 3rd...

Mike

The Turntable Factory

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
That's great that you found a place to work on your treasure. I used to own a 1229; bought new back in the 60's, I think. When CDs came out I let it sit, finally gave it away. :b I have a couple of spare headshells for it if you are interested.

A couple of years ago I bought a Mitsubishi LT-22 on eBay. It's a blast. This weekend I put a new Shure M97XE cartridge on to replace my old M91ED. What an improvement! This is a great cartridge for the money.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Julian, I would be glad to take you up on the headshells.

The turntable is a beauty - walnut wood, finely crafted precision machinery, only pity is no one in my family knew how to take care of it on the mechanical side. Even so, it worked well until it came here; a couple pieces broke in transit. 30+ years of memories I have around that unit...

So you like the Shure? I need to look into a couple cartridges, not quite certain which way I will go. First things first though - it needs to be repaired...

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread