DTV access card expired?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Mathius, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Please insert new card.
    I got this message and called DTV but was told that since my receiver is over a year old that there would be a $20 charge. I really dont want to pay DTV to replace the card.
    When I bought the receive in July 2000 from Best Buy I added a 4 year warrenty. Should I try to have BB replace the receiver and card? The Sony SatA55 runs really hot and I can clearly see a large dark brown burn mark on the access card. I doubt this normal? I could use this opportunity to upgrade to a HD receiver?
    ------------------
    Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
    [​IMG] 3EMS Hometheater

2. JoshWB

JoshWB Extra

Yes that is your problem. The Sony receivers run extremely hot, and only have a small (tiny) fan to cool them, and it virtually does nothing. If you want to upgrade to an HD box, i would recomend the mitsu 500. I started out with the cheaper toshiba, but when i switched to the Mitsu, no more hot problems, and tons more features. Also the ease of use is incredible. A chimp could use the mitsu.

3. Michael Mathius

Just got off the phone with DTV. Got them to send me a free card once I return the old card to them. You would have think that they would have just done that in the first place.
    ------------------
    Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
    [​IMG] 3EMS Hometheater

4. JoshWB

JoshWB Extra

Hey I would just be happy that you dont have to go through Sony. You would have been waiting months for a new one. Directv has always been good about handling any problems that have come about.

5. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

As you all may or may not know, there's a lot of scamming going on with Access cards. That's probably why you got the first respone you did. I am surprized that they waived the entire fee. From what I understand, usually they send you a new card right away so your service is not interrupted, charge you $39.95, then when they recieve the old card that you send in, they credit your account $29.95.
    ------------------
    "A film, by Oleg Razgul"
    "How was that?"
    "That was great"

6. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    If they charge you for something of theirs acting up, that is criminal, imho. If you notice the litte thing on the card about it being the property of NDS, it sounds like it's their problem if it acts up. I can totally see thought that they would want the old card back. But when they get it, there is no excuse for charging you anything. If they try, threaten to cancel and get digital cable. See what that does.

7. Michael Mathius

Fedex delivered the access card today. My main problem was that I'm already paying $86 a month for service. It was nice to see them come around.
    But after reading this forum I'm thinking of checking out the Philips Tivo at Circuit City today. Does this receiver also run hot?
    I really would have like to get a HD STB but I just can't bring myself to paying $600 for it. When I first got my original DSS receiver in 1995 I paid $1000 for it but then a year later I paid $199 for a second one and then got a $200 rebate.