Dts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin T., Apr 10, 2002.

1. Kevin T.

Kevin T. Extra

Hello, I was wondering my DVD player is DTS equipped, but my reciever is not, I have an older 600 series onkyo. In order for me to listen to my dvds in DTS does the reciever also have to have DTS?

Thanks

Kevin

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    No. However, your receiver has to have 5.1 inputs and your DVD player has to have built in DTS decodeing. 5.1 inputs are essentially analog RCA jacks on the back of your receiver and DVD player labeled something like:
    Right Front
    Left Front
    Center
    Right Surround
    Left Surround
    LFE or Subwoofer
    Just connect your DVD player from the corisponding outputs on your DVD player to the inputs on your receiver.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

One caveat:

Travis's advice applies if your DVD player has a built-in DTS decoder. Most players do not, although any player manufactured after 1998 can process the DTS signal and pass it to an external processor.

When you say your player is "DTS equipped", what do you mean? (If you're not sure, just specify the make and model of the player; someone here will probably know it.)

M.

4. Kevin T.

Kevin T. Extra

I have the JVC XV SA-75GD. When i switch over to the DTS on the DVD i get no sound from my reciever. I have those 5.1 inputs (i think theyre called multi-source) hooked up to the dvd player/reciever. I use those to play my DVD-A.

Thanks again

Kevin

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson
    Cool, I have that DVD player also. The only thing I can think of is that you don't have your receiver set to "External Decoder". This may be called somthing else on your receiver, I'm not fimialar with your model. I have a Yamaha HTR-5250 and when I want to listen to DVD-Audio or use the DVD player's decoding all I have to do is set the receiver to External Decoder. If you are able to listen to DVD-Audio disc in Advanced Resoultion mode there should be no reason why DTS won't play. Are you using a Digital Optical/Coax connection as well? If you are you might only be hearing the Dolby Digital tracks on your DVD-Audio discs and be mistakenly thinking it is Advanced Resoultion. In which case your receiver is not set properly.
    Edit: I forgot that that player will only let you listen to Advanced Resoultion. You can't listen to the Dolby Digital tracks on DVD-Audio discs with that player.

6. Kevin T.

Kevin T. Extra

I just tried it, put gladiator in, switched to multi-input mode, it played, but no sound coming from the rears. In order for me to play dvd-a i have to switch to the multi input mode.

Thanks

Kevin

PS--Im probably doing something wrong on my end

7. Kevin T.

Kevin T. Extra

ok i tried something else also, i changed my dvd setting to dolby digital/pcm, as opposed to stream/pcm, seems to work now. Does this make any sence??

Thanks

Kevin

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson
    Yeah it makes sense....sort of. Apparently your receiver has built in DTS decoding. Since you said it didn't, I never suggested that. It would have been my next guess. Thats odd that the player will play DTS in the DD/PCM setting and not the Stream/PCM setting, mine is the exact opposite. At any rate, at least it works now. [​IMG]

9. Kevin T.

Kevin T. Extra

Well thats the thing, my reciever does not have DTS decoding. This is confusing [​IMG]
    Kevin

10. Eric Taylor

Eric Taylor Agent

Hey...so are you saying that if the dvd player has decoding that I would not have to update my receiver? What if my receiver doesn't have the 5.1 inputs can I still get DTS sound if my dvd player does the decoding? I really would like to have DTS but don't really want to upgrade my system right away..so I am hoping that with my new Panasonic RP91 progressive scan dvd player that I will not have too. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

11. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Eric,

A player with an internal DTS decoder translates digital DTS into six (7 for DTS-ES) separate analog audio outputs. The back panel of such a DVD player has a separate line-level output for each decoded speaker channel: front left, right and center, subwoofer, plus two or three surround channels.

The player also will have a special dts logo on the front. If the logo says "dts digital out" then it does *not* decode the signal. It just passes through the digital DTS bitstream for external decoding. A player with no dts logo at all won't even do that. The RP-91 does decode DTS.

In order to handle a decoded multichannel signal, whether DTS, DD, DVD-A or SACD, the receiver (or pre/pro) has to have a separate analog audio input for each of those 6 (or 7) speaker channels.

If your receiver has only stereo analog inputs, then, no, you can't listen to the decoded DTS audio. You could hook up the left & right front channels, but you wouldn't be able to hear the others. A lot of the sound would be missing.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

12. Kevin T.

Kevin T. Extra

I think mine is working, but im still unsure how [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help
    Kevin

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow this is not really this complicated....
    Kevin, this is what you need to do:
    * Set the digital output your DVD player back so that you get DD and PCM through the receiver when you are using the digital in. It sounds like you had it set up like this to begin with. Make sure 5.1 Dolby Digital rocks your home theater world.
    * If your receiver has a 5.1 channel "External Decoder" input, hook six audio cables from the multichannel output on your DVD player to that input on the receiver.
    * Select "External Decoder" on your receiver and playback a DTS track on the DVD player. You may need to use the test tones on the DVD player or a test disc to balance the levels.
    It's really just that simple. [​IMG]

14. Bob_Nelson

Bob_Nelson Auditioning

There are some DVD players that have DD and DTS decoding built in them. You will know when you look on the back if they have center, subwoofer, front and rear L & R outputs. Now to use this you need to have a reciever that has 5.1 inputs. The owners manual on your DVD player will show you how to hook it up IF your DVD player is equipped with a DTS and DD decoder. If your DVD player does not have a decoder then you will need to get a receiver that has a decoder with optical or coaxial input.

Hope this helps.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bob,

Five minutes on google or a search at Crutchfield.com supplies the information that his DVD player does indeed have a DTS decoder.