DTS widescreen review dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Calvin

Calvin Auditioning

Can someone tell me how is the recording of the 18 dts movie trailer? Does it sound like the DTS demo no.4,5 disc or is it simply just a normal trailer sound with no impact and simply put just a very normal trailer sound. Does it have a strong LFE sound effect just like the movie itself so that I can use it to demo to friends, thanks.

2. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Just got it on Monday. Will check it out. But, in most cases dts is not a "killer" difference,in my opinion. Widescreen Review is quite biased towards dts. In my experience, dts better reproduces fine detail in some cases. But, it takes a revealing system to detect this difference.

3. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    Calvin, just checked it out. Yes, it is good demo disc but it is yet another attempt by Widescreen Review to promote dts with a bias. The dts tracks are at high level with the alternate tracks as DD2.0 at anemic level and which seem to be lacking surround. This further enforces my opinion of Widescreen Review as lacking in objective comparison. This comes just when I was gaining renewed respect for Widescreen Review. They are charging $ 4.95 for overt ad, in my opinion, and making me feel that they are going back to their old ways. They just can't seem to let loose of the dts promotion at all costs.

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

5. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    Matt, they seem to be, but this is overt dts advertisement in the name of Widescreen Review. I trust Obi's Reviews, DVD File, Big Picture and Digital Bits, but Widescreen Review is
    purveyor of dts "hype". My opinion.

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

7. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Getting back to the sound on the trailers, its pretty good but it is the trailers and not scene excerpts like the DTS Samplers.
    Personally, I would have preferred scene excerpts more but its still a good deal and useful for demoing the system.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

8. Perry Sun

Perry Sun Extra

Roger,
    You are opining negatively on a product based just on the fact that it has our name, and DTS on it. This was a joint effort, and not one created specifically to signify our support for DTS. We would be just as willing to create a special private label DVD with Dolby, and we have approached them already about this.
    We're currently in discussions with various other companies about other private labels for our WebDVD Publications, including hardware manufactures and some major CE and video store chains. We have recently developed a two-disc DVD with Alsop that will be available very soon. It just so happens that the first widespread product from us is this DTS Widescreen DVD Movie Guide. So before spouting out further inflaming comments...please consider the above.
    ------------------
    Managing Editor,
    Widescreen Review
    www.widescreenreview.com

9. YANG

YANG Second Unit

CALVIN,
    Already there are some HIFI dealers got this disc from overseas already,and they are using it to demonstrate the DTS surround system.

10. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

Perry, good to see that there is a widescreen review presence on HTF. And Roger, Perry is right about the DVD............when WR went to the various companies, DTS was the first one that stepped up to the plate. I was at CES this year and asked them why DTS and no DD. If Dolby wants to step up and make a disc as well, I'll get it. I like both and think that Demo discs are great. I have the DD trailer disc and the no. 3,4, and 5 DTS demo discs. But don't think that WR is absolutely slanted towards DTS and that is the only reason that this particular disc was released. Try to find out ahead of time before making comments........you might be suprised by what you find out. I know I've been suprised before [​IMG]

11. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    Perry, your point is well taken. Widescreen Review is the most improved magazine out there. I guess my comments reflect an experience of the early days of dts and I should look more forward. I am very impressed with the current state of Widescreen Review and should not have jumped to a hasty conclusion. It appears that the new DTS trailer product has some interesting DVD ROM features that I will explore today.
    Regarding the current disc, the seemingly high sound levels could be attributed to the fact that the clips are trailers and may be naturally higher level than the actual movie. It is a nice selection of trailers on the disc.
    My apology to the staff of Widescreen Review for my comments representing to quick of a conclusion based upon the past. Keep up the nice work. I quickly read each issue as it arrives. Of particular interest are the excellent in-depth articles.