What's new

DTS Waterworld - a good investment sonically and visually? (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Alright, I admit this film is a guilty pleasure. I liked it, looking past the millions that this film cost to make.

I still have my PCM Dolby Stereo laserdisc, which has served me well, but now that the DTS disc has dropped significantly in price, is it time to move to the DTS DVD?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i like this movie and will be adding the dts version to my collection.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Is there any hope of a special edition ? it seems Universal have lost interest in the ultimate editions (apart from Legend) and this never even made a collectors edition.

I would like to see the additional footage from the TV version included as an extra (like ST The Motion Picture). When shown recently on the Scifi channel in the UK showed a longer cut with around 30 mins of extra footage which I had never seen before.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Fixed.

I htought the sound was pretty darned good with decent LFE and nice suround action.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
5.0 mix as I recall. Solid sound it must be said, full bitrate DTS, one of Universal's initial DTS DVDs. Image was very good too. I sold it eventualy, but that was because I hardly watched the movie (I don't hate it by any means, just never saw frequent spins).

If it has seen a significant price reduction, I recommend it!

Dan

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
DTS 5.0?

Instead of 5.1?

So, the dts version of Waterworld doesn't have a dedicated LFE channel?

I was also considering adding this to my collection, but if it's only 5.0...

Someone please clarify this.

Bruce N

Second Unit
So what if it's only 5.0? It still has plenty of bass in the other channels that gets redirected to the sub. There is plenty of bass in Waterworld, it's just not in an LFE channel.

Would you really not buy it because it has no LFE channel? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Bruce

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I was also considering adding this to my collection, but if it's only 5.0...
Sigh, a common belief.

5.0 tracks can have plenty of bass, the five fullrange discrete channels have enough bass to satisfy.

If your equipment is set up properly, then the tracks are highpass filtered at the crossover frequency, and the lower range frequencies are sent to the sub.

Speed's DTS LD was also another DTS 5.0 track (the recent 5-Star was 5.1, because it looks better on the back of the cover), and no lack of gutslamming bass there too.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Sadly, people think they're getting short-changed if they get a dvd with a 5.0 track. "What's the point if it hasn't got a sub track?" etc etc. *Sigh*

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Audio was pretty good. The DD version has noticeably sharper video ,though. I noticed this with most of the initial dts releases that had full bitrate.

Chris

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The dts Waterworld sounded very good. I actually think it had a little more bass than the DD version did.

Cage

Auditioning
This is an awesome movie with great sound! I do also wish they would come out with a special edition with the same footage that has been shown recently on TV. This extra footage explains a lot of things about this movie and it makes more sense with the included footage. I finally know where dryland was. You never find out where it actually was that they found the land until you see the version with the extra 30 minutes!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Audio was pretty good. The DD version has noticeably sharper video ,though. I noticed this with most of the initial dts releases that had full bitrate.
I agree. This is exactly the same case with Apollo 13. The differences of Apollo 13 are quite noticable on my set-up between the DD and DTS versions.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize for my ignorant post. :frowning:
I read many more posts about Waterworld dts 5.0 last night, and decided to put it on my wishlist. I actually can't wait to get this title now.
I set my speakers to small anyway (the only way to use my yamaha receiver's crossover).
Yes, Geoff, I did feel as if I was getting short-changed since I've never run across a 5.0 dts movie. I guess it was instinct to feel that way. :frowning:
Thanks for showing me the light, and maybe I can enlighten others.
Again, I look forward to adding this movie to my growing dts collection. :)

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I recently received the Waterwold DVD (DTS version) a few weeks ago. Sounds awesome, by the way. :) However, I was under the impression that this DVD was "DTS 5.0." Well today, a friend pointed out on the back of the DVD and it clearly says "DTS 5.1." Now, is Universal telling a fib, or is it really DTS 5.1 like it says on the back?

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like I'm responsible for that dash, huh Justin?
My apologies! :D :D
...and to stay on the topic
I just picked up the DTS version from bb.com. I'm guilty of being a closet Waterworld fan too. :)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The DTS track on the Waterworld DVD is a 5.1 track, but there is no activity in the LFE track, so it is, for all practical purposes, a 5.0 mix. The DD disc of Waterworld is true 5.0.

I noticed the same thing with the Big Trouble in Little China. The DD was 4.1, the DTS was 5.1 but had effectively mono surrounds. Is it just that DTS tracks have to be flagged as 5.1, regardless of content? Are there any DTS tracks which read as being less than 5.1?

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks