What's new

DTS version of Gaucho by Steely Dan (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I'm considering buying the DTS version of Gaucho - I'm a big Steely Dan fan. The cost is quite high though. Is it worth it?

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
IMHO, this is one of the best DTS CDs ever put out. I would not hesitate to buy it again, or as a gift for anyone who has the capability to play it in their system.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Coincidentally, I just picked this up the other day, and it's my first and only DTS CD. I like it, and it's a cool thing to have for Dan fans.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Definitely worth the money, a no brainer for any DTS capable Dan fan.

NP: Midnight Oil: 20,000 Watt R.S.L. Live DVD Tracks

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
That's just annoying. If they already have a DTS of Gaucho, why not use another album for SACD? Yes, I know some people wouldn't be able to play both, but still, why not have some variety? Besides, it seems to me that the general consensus amongst Dan fans is that Aja is their best album (and before people start chiming in with, "but I love Steely Dan and I think Guacho is their best," notice I said general consensus). More importantly, it's my favorite album.

NP: California Guitar Trio with Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto, Live At The Key Club, CD

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that the DVD-A of Two Against Nature also has a DTS track, mixed just like Gaucho (or, for that matter, the quadraphonic versions of their 1st 3 albums), horns & female vocals in the back.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
Even in a modest HT setup, track 4 (Gaucho)will blow you away. You will not be disappointed.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Patience grasshopper. Aja would give me reason to buy a SACD player and I can't really afford that right now so I don't want it to come out yet. :)
NP: Kate Bush: The Sensual World

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Srictly on records---ABC Command Quadraphonic. They utilized the rarely used Sansui QS system (as opposed to the more common CBS SQ or RCA Victor's CD-4 systems) that ABC records used for all of their quad releases (BB King, Three Dog Night, Jim Croce,& The Grass Roots were other ABC artists with quad releases). The mixes were quite different at times---Reelin' In The Years, for example, has Elliot Randall's guitar part running through the entire cut instead of fading up & down as in the stereo mix (kind of like the Grateful Dead's single mix of Truckin' versus the album version).

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I played my DTS Gaucho on a RP91 last night and followed it up with an old Aja on a C555ES...

Gaucho, even at low volume was so pleasing. Aja was sooo bad.

Why would they do a SACD of Gaucho before doing an Aja?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
John,

Have you gotten the remastered Aja? I find Aja to be very pleasent to listen to. However, I have the MFSL CD, the MCA Reamaster, and the original ABC Vinyl to choose from and they all sound great. I've never heard the original MCA master.

NP: King Crimson: Heavy ConstruKtion

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Even more odd than rdoing Gaucho on SACD before Aja is what they're doing with some of the Miles Davis catalogue. Quiet Nights, Big Fun, and Jazz at the Plaza are all out already, and while I'll take any Miles on SACD I can get, these three are considered lesser works in the Miles catalogue. Birth of the Cool, Porgy & Bess, Bitches Brew, Cookin' and Milestones should come out way before the obscure stuff. However, this may just mean that they're planning to release all of it, which would be perfect.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Philip said:

Have you gotten the remastered Aja?
Unfortunately, no. Mine is the original and just does not come across very well at all. Perhaps they are waiting for me to buy the re-master so they can release the multi channel SACD.

Actually, thinking back to last week, I found Pretzel Logic & Aja (remasters) in the $8.99 bin at Tower but passed due to my hands being stuffed with other goodies.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Why would they do a SACD of Gaucho before doing an Aja?
Because the multitracks to some of the songs have gone missing (I believe I Got The News & Home At Last are the tracks, but my memory could be faulty here). It was originally going to be the 1st DTS Steely Dan 5.1 CD, but they switched to Gaucho due to this problem.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
If they already have a DTS of Gaucho, why not use another album for SACD?
Some of us would prefer the disc in its original two channel format.

Some of us wouldnt want that two channel version to be a downmix from a 5.1 channel mix performed by a chip in a DVD player.

Just two reasons I can think of.

Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mike, you're right, and I'm not complaining that Gaucho is going to be on SACD. It just seems a bit odd to be focusing on one album for all the high-res releases instead of spreading it around a little. Unless they're going to release all of the Steely Dan albums on SACD, which I highly doubt, it just seems like a weird marketing decision.

But you bet your asses I'll snap up that SACD.

However, if the SACD is multi-channel, would there be a reason to hold on to the DTS CD?

NP: Brahm's 4th Sympthony, conducted by Bruno Walter, SACD, which is letting me hear all the cute little recording mistakes.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Unfortunatly The multi-track master of The song "AJA" has gone missing........I remember hearing that they were remastering the album for a DTS CD release but they couldn't find it...so they scrap it

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I love the Dan, and I own the DTS CD, but I find the surround mix too distracting. I always listen to the remastered box set CD version in stereo when I need a fix. Sounds better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks