DTS titles being advertized as DVD-Audio?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kier, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Kier

Kier Auditioning

I have recently noticed several retailers listing DTS audio discs as DVD-Audio. I may be wrong, but I don't think a title should me listed as DVD-Audio unless it contains a high resolution DVD-Audio version of the sound, which DTS of course is not.

To see what I'm talking about, go to www.play.com and search for Sting as a DVDA Artist. It will return the DTS version of Ten Summoner's Tales, listing it as a DVD-Audio title. Likewise, if you click the 'Music' tab and drill down to DVD-Audio > Coming Soon, you will see several other DTS titles listed as DVD-Audio. You will also find DTS-encoded titles listed as DVD-Audio over at www.buy.com.

So, are these retailers right to list DTS titles as DVD-Audio, or is this doing DVD-Audio a disservice? Or perhaps these discs do in fact contain a high-res version in addition to the DTS-encoded tracks?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

That's not advertising though -- it is a problem with incorrect labeling by the retailer.

Regards,

3. Kier

Kier Auditioning

Semantics aside, you don't expect to go into a wine bar and look at the champagne menu, only to find it full of sparkling grape juice do you?

In my opinion, labelling DTS discs as DVD-Audio is like labelling MPEG 1 Video CDs as DVD-Video.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If one goes into a Best Buy store one will find a DVD-A section. Inside the DVD-A section are DTS CDs. This is similar to the situation of the orignal post. It is not the fault of DVD-A, it is the fault of the retailer as noted above.

7. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I think DTS must bear some of the responsibility due to the past hype of DTS titles. This has confused a great deal of people that don't understand the nuances of the sampling world.

In fairness to the company, they are putting sampling data on their new discs. Universal is following suite with its new releases. But I won't reopen that very unsatisfying discussion in this thread.[​IMG]