What's new

DTS Titles. Any good ones? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes. The Jurrassic Park DTS discs are well worth it in my ear's opinion... (I have both versions of all 3 films)

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

YES....the Jaws and Jurassic Park DTS discs from Universal are definitely worth replacing the standard versions....I didnt think, when watching the Dolby Digital edition of Jaws, and then watching the DTS version, that there was much difference between the two tracks....I mean, lets be honest here...neither of them are active mixes, with the audio mainly in the front soundstage....but if you listen with a very discriminating ear, you will hear differences in the DTS mix on Jaws....first of all, the classic score sounds a bit richer and deeper and fills the soundstage better...then, the dialogue seems a bit crisper, especially the girl screaming in the opening scene----on the DTS version, her screams are shrill and really, really crisp...you really think someone is getting eaten by a shark! In the end, the DTS mix makes this wonderful film just open up a bit better. I ended up re-buying Jaws in DTS and giving the Dolby version to my girlfriend, who doesnt care about the audio anyway.

With Jurassic Park, I had been hearing so many things about the demo quality of the T Rex scene in DTS, so I did not want to buy ANY other version of the film unless it was DTS. I wound up getting a defective copy of the DVD, with the lack of LFE, and I had Universal exchange it for me and they sent me the right one. I never heard the Dolby Digital mix of Jurassic Park, so I cannot comment, but the DTS mix is pretty lively. Although, I have to tell you....for as much as that T Rex scene is applauded by the HT community as the ultimate test of a subwoofer, I did not find it so breathtaking; sure, the T Rex's steps were heavy, but, I dont know, could be my calibration levels....I was still kinda dissapointed in the depth of the bass in Jurassic Park DTS; now, The Haunting---thats ANOTHER subject all together! That bass will rattle your apartment or house from its foundations.

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
Great stuff.

I have just orderd Jaws, JP1 and JP2 DTS versions. Now I gotta go sell my other ones . LOL

Thanx

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Band of Brothers DTS is great, though it could use a bump in LFE.

The gunfire in Open Range blew me away.

I recently ordered Private Ryan DTS and Black Hawk Superbit. The DD versions of these are great but I just have to see what the DTS tracks are like.

Really looking forward to Scott's review of Top Gun DTS. The music in the DD version sounds terrific but the LFE is really inconsistent.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,

The DTS track on Black Hawk Down Superbit is definitely an improvement on the Dolby tracks on the previous single disc and Deluxe versions; it is apprent from the moment the African music begins playing during the on-screen explanations of what the marines were doing in Somalia that October --- the soundstage just breathes and opens up. Black Hawk Down is the only Superbit I own right now (I am waiting for Spidey 2 in the mail) and as soon as I bought it and listened to it, I immediately sold my single disc version. Well worth the upgrade --- UNLESS you want all the awesome extras that came with the Deluxe Edition, which really chronicles the mess we got into in Somalia and talks to some of the real guys that survived the ordeal. The Deluxe edition of that film is probably one of the most elaborate, in depth DVD releases of all time for a single film.

And, with regards to Saving Private Ryan, no one with a 5.1 surround setup should own the Dolby version of this disc....the DTS is the ONLY way to go. The DTS audio on Saving Private Ryan has to be one of the hottest, most dynamic surround tracks I have ever experienced. Just a touch of volume is needed when playing that Omaha Beach sequence...bass rocks your sub, bullets, cries of injured men and explosions come from every channel around you and you REALLY feel like you're in that war....very very convincing. This is a soundtrack not to be missed. Forget the Dolby version. The only problem with Saving Private Ryan DTS is that once your brain and senses are bombarded with the battle scenes, the quieter dialogue-driven moments seem so weak in comparison; you will find yourself turning your system WAY up just to hear the dialogue because you are used to the volume being down a bit when the battle sequences are onscreen.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

Glad I could be of help to a fellow HT audio junkie! You will definitely enjoy those discs you purchased in DTS....just sell the other versions and get some more spending money!!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for mentioning Open Range. That *is* a stellar DTS track...especially the gun fight scene and thunderstorm. WOW.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Thanks Pat...glad to hear they will be worth the money. I've been holding off for awhile because I don't like to pay twice for the same movie, but from all I've heard these might be two that are worth the double dip. Looking forward to their arrival....

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
No problem Chuck....glad to be of assistance....you cannot go wrong with either of these discs; I have them in my collection and watch them all the time, and believe me, I buy a lot of discs just for the audio sometimes. But, these are two great films, as well, and are definitely worthy of being up on your shelf in a collection. When you get a chance, tell us what you think of the Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan DTS tracks once you watch them.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I had hoped to get the Top Gun review up this morning, but I spent over three hours last night going through the extras... and haven't finished yet!

The DTS track is quite nice, though dialog seems a tad bright to my ears (my impressions were similar for the DD track, though). It is difficult to do an A/B comparison between the DD and DTS track, because the DTS track is mixed considerably hotter.

Anyway, the DTS track has excellent spatial cues, strong, enveloping surround, powerful LFE... I don't think it will disappoint.

Look for my full review tomorrow.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I forgot to mention a really great DTS soundtrack, and that's Blue Man Group's "Audio". It has some killer bass and great spatial effects. Popped it in last night to flex my sub. :)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Not the best films but reference audio...

Armageddon DTS R2J
Cutthroat Island DTS R2J
Transporter DTS R2J

All full bitrate too.

R1 Water World had great water surround effects during almost the entire film. Makes you feel like you're right out on the ocean.

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I have already asked this in an other thread.
But what exactly is 6.1?

If I play the Top Gun 6.1DTS track via my Yamaha Cinema kit, which is 5 speakers and 1 sub. (I assume thats 5.1 :)
will it not work???

david*mt

Second Unit
Master and Commander has the best DTS track that I have ever heard. The opening battle is incredible.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

Actually, he'll still get that one channel, it will just come out of both of his rear speakers.

Ryan, go to this post for an explanation of 6.1 formats.

Travis

Second Unit
What DVD's players are everyone using to play the different regions? I have a Denon 2900 and as far as I am aware it can only play region 1 DVD's. Is there an update or do I have to have it modded to play other regions? Sorry for the off topic question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks