What's new

DTS Titles. Any good ones? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I have just bought a new Sony DVD player and upgraded my Yamaha amp to DTS. I have a few titles already.

Die Another Day R2
Predator CE R2
Pulp Fiction CE R2
Die Hard Trilogy (Ultimate Box) R1

I dont care what region they are. But I would appreciate some good titles worth buying for DTS tracks.

Thanx

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The Day After Tomorrow
The Fast and the Furious
Gladiator
Lord of the Rings - Extended Editions
Master and Commander
Minority Report
Saving Private Ryan
X2: X-Men 2

Enjoy your new toys!!!

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Ryan, may I be one of the first to welcome you to the wonderful world of DTS. :D

Here are my recommendations for "good titles worth buying for DTS tracks."

(In no particular order)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Ultimate Edition R1 (if you can still get your hands on a copy that is)
The Fifth Element: Superbit
Saving Private Ryan: AE - R1
Bad Boys II: Superbit
The Day After Tomorrow - R1|R3 (Hong Kong)
The 6th Day: Deluxe Edition - R2 (Japan)
Lord of the Rings Extended Editions of all movies - Any Region
Hero - R3 (Hong Kong)|R2 (Japan)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - R1
Black Hawk Down: Superbit
Open Range: CE - R1
The Running Man: SE - R1 (USA! Canada does not have DTS)
Pitch Black: Director's Cut - R1
The Bourne Identity: CE - R1 (if you can still get your hands on it)
Underworld: Superbit
Equilibrium - R3 (Korea)
Finding Nemo - R3 (Korea)
The Mummy: UE (R1) or Superbit - R2 Japan
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - R3 (Hong Kong)
The Terminator: UE - R2 (Japan)
Tombstone: Vista Series - R1
The Peacemaker: DTS - R1
Jurassic Park - R1 or R2 Japan Superbit
Minority Report - R1
Snatch: Superbit Deluxe - R1
X2: X-Men United - R1

That's about it. Sorry for making the list so long, but I couldn't leave alot of those out. All of these DVD's IMO have great DTS tracks. :D

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
My Favorites in My Collection:

The Fantasia Anthology (out of print, but check e*bay -- some of the finest audio ever heard on DVD is found on the Fantasia/2000 disc)

Band of Brothers

Open Range

Chicago

Cast Away

Saving Private Ryan

Others:

The Ring

8 mile

The Butterfly Effect

The Hunt for Red October: SE / Patriot Games: SE / Clear and Present Danger: SE

Legend: Ultimate Edition

Many Spielberg Titles: Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, Schindler's List, A.I., E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Some Disney Titles: Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Dinosaur, The Emperor's New Groove, Brother Bear

Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition and The Two Towers: EE

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Here's a few that I have that I like:

Master & Commander
Gladiator
Dances with Wolves oop dts version
Termintor 2: Ultimate Edition
Black Hawk Down - Superbit
Fifth Element - Superbit
Cliffhanger - Superbit
xXx - Superbit
Day After Tomorrow
Lord of the Rings - All 3
Open Range
Pearl Harbor
The Pianist
Reign of Fire
Saving Private Ryan
Speed - 5-star
Tombstone - Vista series
Twister
U-571

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
To add and echo:

Aliens: Ultimate Edition (R2 from Japan; sooooooo much better than the R1 DD dvd)
Apollo 13 (full bitrate)
Dances With Wolves (Orion/Image full bitrate theatrical cut)
Galaxy Quest (guilty pleasure and full bitrate)
The Jackal (another guilty pleasure and full bitrate)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (gotta love Treebeard and his buddies)
Ronin: Ultimate Edition (R2 from Japan; again awesome soundtrack)
Saving Private Ryan
U-571 (gotta love that bass)

I just finished a quest to find all of the Universal full bitrate DTS tracks. While the merits of the individual films are debatable, all of the soundtracks are incredible (even The Little Rascals).

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
punisher r3
spiderman 1+2 superbit
the lion king r2
blade dts (jap)
daredevil
the one superbit
bad boys 2 superbit
terminator 3 r2
josie and the pussycats (great music)

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I have to second the Emperor's New Groove - my father is blind, and I brought him into my movie room with the beginning of the movie playing, and he SWORE it was raining. :)

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my list of demo worthy DTS discs that will really rock a well-calibrated home theater:

-U571 (Universal); make sure your sub isn't up too high or not properly calibrated because the bass on this DTS track during the depth-charging sequences is deep and relentless enough to cause the bottoming-out effect we all hate on subs; one of the best DTS mixes on the market, still...the creaks of the submarines, the torpedoes firing, the depth charging...a jaw-dropping experience not be missed.

-Gladiator (DreamWorks, DTS-ES); this was the very first disc I bought with my surround system, and still, years later after many other demo discs have hit the market, this STILL holds up as a wild ride in DTS-ES. Listen for the flaming arrows in the beginning and any scene in the arena...crank up the scene where Crowe is fighting the tigers and listen to that crowd roar around you and the tigers snarl and growl like they're in your living room.

-The Haunting (DreamWorks, DTS-ES); there is no other disc in home theater which offers more bass and low end than this rather weak remake that the director of Speed came up with; once the doors of Hill House begin slamming shut, your living room will absolutely shake and vibrate from the low end on this disc. God bless DreamWorks and their DTS mixes...

-Saving Private Ryan (DreamWorks); without a doubt, one of the---if not THE---best DTS DVDs ever made...man, that opening half hour on Omaha Beach will REALLY put your system through a workout...bullets, screams and explosions rip from every channel in your home theater. Very well made soundtrack and perhaps the best one I've ever heard.

-Jurassic Park (Universal); once Universal corrected the LFE-deficient pressings of this disc, the T-Rex scene has become the demo sequence to go to.

-Black Hawk Down Superbit (Columbia); a DEFINITE worthwhile step up from the standard Dolby Digital versions of this great film that are out there; there is a bare bones single disc edition and a Deluxe edition which offers three discs worth of bonus information about what really happened in Somalia that October, but the definitive version of Black Hawk Down, for AUDIO, is the Superbit...a wide soundstage with bullets, cries, and missiles coming from every direction.

-Daredevil (20th Century Fox); Matt Murdoch's world of sound comes into our living rooms in a very cool DTS mix; listen for the bar room fight scene, which really puts your speakers through a workout, and also the scene where the I.V. bag is dripping in the hospital when Matt is a boy --- the bass is pretty deep there.

I will try and think of some more....

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On a similar note. Can someone give some scene examples to show people? Like what Pat just did.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I have to echo Pat's Daredevil suggestion-- I can't believe I forgot that one. While I'm not a big fan of Widescreen Review's "holosonic" spherical sound thingie, this soundtrack does *completely* engulf you from every angle.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Another great audio demo sequence (from a critically blasted movie) is the tunnel explosion sequence from Stallone's Daylight.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Band of Brothers - Episode 6 Bastogne: There's an explosion about 10-12 minutes in that makes me jump out of my seat everytime even though I know it's coming.

Saving Private Ryan - In addition to the excellent Normandy landing, the final battle in the scene known as 'The Alamo' has some excellent sound. When the tanks come rumbling into town the low rumble makes things on the wall start shaking unlike anything else I have.

The Bourne Identity - I love the car chase scene in the middle of the movie. Great sound and video.

Pearl Harbor - When the Japanese planes start arriving in Pearl Harbor. The sound moves smoothly across the room giving a great directional feel.

Black Hawk Down Superbit Deluxe (Korean R3 version) - This version of BHD includes the Superbit and the 2 discs of extras that the R1 Deluxe edition has. It also comes with the excellent soundtrack on CD.

Cast Away - When Tom Hanks is first on the island the surround sound is subtle and provides great ambiance. By subtle I mean there aren't big explosions, but smaller things like something dropping out of a tree behind or to the side of him.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Open Range and Master and Commander are some of the best DTS soundtracks I've ever heard.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
On a similar note. Can someone give some scene examples to show people? Like what Pat just did.

The Fantasia Anthology - Fantasia/2000 comes with a "Showcase Sampler" designed to function as a "demo disc" of moments from the film (in both dts and DD 5.1).

Band of Brothers - The air combat at the beginning of Episode 2 "Day of Days", and then the field combat that concludes the same episode. I swear this series gives Private Ryan a run for its money.

Open Range - The climactic gunfight is an easy highlight, for the amazing, visceral gunshots, but I like the ambient environmental effects throughout, and Kamen's score sounds terrific.

Chicago - Well, this is a no-brainer. I suppose just for the variety in orchestration, the "He Had It Coming" number is a standout sequence.

Cast Away -- Ah! This touches on what I appreciate the most in sound design. Not bombast and whiz-bang f/x, but an intelligent use of sound. The sound team is a true star in Cast Away, from the frightening plane crash (maybe the most terrifying ever put on film, next to 1993's Alive) to the lush, deceptively "quiet" environmental f/x. Like Zemeckis' quiet, introspective near-masterpiece Contact, this is a showcase for sound engineers who know the value of silence. Pointing to one single moment is a trick, but probably the first half hour of scenes with Tom Hanks on the island is as good as any.

Saving Private Ryan - The brilliant editing is mirrored and captured in what me the best action sound design on the 90's. Two scenes are easy highlights, the now famous "Omaha Beach" landing, and the climactic "Alamo" showdown.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
There are a plethora of titles I cannot believe never got DTS treatment, for that matter....Independence Day (Region 1), Terminator 3 (Region 1), Crimson Tide (Region 1), Gone in 60 Seconds, Con Air....just about anything in the Jerry Bruckheimer stable.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
And agreed, with what everyone is saying about the "Alamo" sequence in Saving Private Ryan; sure, the first half hour on Normandy Beach is jaw dropping, but those later sequences when the tanks roll in, and Barry Pepper is up in the bell tower, picking off the German soldiers one by one, is demo-worthy as well. The bass generated by that tank is outstanding, although I can only experience so much with a 10" sub.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Of course, the Bruckheimer-produced Top Gun (Special Collector's Edition) is on it's way, DTS track and all. I've only had a minute to spin it... I'll have a full review at the end of the week.

-Scott

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, yes, Scott, I did forget about that title...I always forget Bruckheimer had his hand in Top Gun...I always associate him with the likes of Armageddon, Con Air, Crimson Tide, Gone in 60 Seconds, Bad Boys, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks