DTS,THX,or DOLBY?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ForresterW, Oct 31, 2001.

1. ForresterW

ForresterW Stunt Coordinator

hello
    i was wondering which one of these sound format is best...
    please let me know.
    thank you [​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

THX isn't a "sound format". It's a set of standards intended to guarantee the highest quality reproduction of whatever format is being played (that's a vast oversimplification, of course, but it'll do for now).
    As for DTS vs. DD, no subject has been more hotly or frequently debated. A recent thread in Hardware sums it up with relatively little rhetoric:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/045606.html
    M.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Only dts and Dolby Digital are sound formats. THX is a mastering process.
    Some people like DD while others will swear by dts. There have been many heated discussions about this. There are a few soundtracks where dts sounds better than it's DD counterpart, but there are other soundtracks where DD is the better sound mix.
    I can't really say one is better than the other, but I lean towards dts when I can get it.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

4. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

DTS superior, Dolby Digital inferior. [​IMG]

5. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Forrester,
    I posted this response in another thread:
    DD & DTS were both designed to reproduce the sound of a 5.1 soundtrack in less space than a PCM track, with no apparent difference in sound. Both systems were demonstrated to industry panelists, and both achieved their goals. There is much ranting over the superiority of one system over the other. However, searches on this forum will show that most of us have found that both systems will reproduce the same sound, given the same mix, handled with the same care.
    That being said, there are differences in many tracks. Is one codec audibly superior to the other? NO! Does one system, quite often, sound better than the other? YES! In cases where one sounds better than the other, DTS is ususally the winner. Nonetheless, the original reason for developing these systems was to save space. DD is consistently better than DTS in this regard.
    As a rule, though, I listen for the quality of sound, not for the medium-space saved.
    Marty

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

[​IMG]
    I was going to quote you directly, Marty, but instead I just linked to the thread. Your summary is easily the best I've ever seen: concise, to-the-point and blessedly free of rhetoric.
    M.