What's new

DTS special editions (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
All contain a DD track of some sort, due to DD being the offical sound format for DVD. Many older DTS only discs only contained a DD 2.0 track, but with the advent of half bit rate DTS, most of the time you get 5.1 DTS and DD.

J

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Greg,

Is this the case ? I wanted to get the Jaws DTS version for when I upgrade my amp (currently only DD) but all the reviews and Amazon etc say only DTS track on the disk ? Don't have currently and did not want to restrict to just DD.

Also does this also apply to other Universal titles eg JP ?

Thanks

Malcolm

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I have the Jaws DTS disc, and it does indeed have a dolby track as well. I always thought of it as Pro logic, but I suppose it is DD2.0

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I believe the 'spec' states that a DD or PCM tracks must be on a DVD. DTS was considered an alternative audio track at the time.

Not sure if it has ever been amended

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "The Eagles: HFO" concert DVD has only a PCM and DTS track on the disc. No DD track is included, so maybe a DD track doesn't have to be included.

Peace,

DM

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
From the Official DVD FAQ, section 1.32
Dolby Digital or PCM audio are required on 525/60 (NTSC) discs, and since both PCM and DTS together don't usually leave enough room for quality video encoding of a full-length movie, essentially every disc with a DTS soundtrack also carries a Dolby Digital soundtrack. This means that all DTS discs will work in all DVD players, but a DTS-compatible player and a DTS decoder are required to play the DTS soundtrack. DTS audio CDs work on all DVD players, since the DTS data is encapsulated into standard PCM tracks that are passed untouched to the digital audio output. DTS discs often carry a Dolby Digital 2.0 track in Dolby Surround format instead of a full Dolby Digital 5.1 track.
You can find the Official FAQ here:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html
It's essential reading. Honestly! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks