What's new

DTS sound problem (1 Viewer)

Dan Galyen

Agent
I have noticed over the past several months that my receiver or speakers cannot handle a DTS soundtrack. It will run for a while and then without warning enormous distortion comes rambling out of the speakers. It is so bad that I have to stop the disc and switch to DD. I have never had a problem with DD. Funny, though, my Eagles HFO DTS soundtrack runs clear as a bell through the entire concert. Could there be a bitrate issue?

Equipment: H/K AVR (???) receiver
Mirage towers front
JBL center
Eosone rears
New Fisher Prog scan dvd player (had same problem with old Panny dvd player), which leads me to believe it is the receiver.

Any ideas? Should I try coaxial digital connection v. optical and see if there is a difference?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
ANy way to reset the processor in the receiver? If so try that to see if it solves the problem. Otherwise I would take it in to be checked.

Kevin

Dan Galyen

Agent
Problem solved. I didn't realize I had a separate optical input for DTS. I switched it over and flawlessly played Jurassic Park last night.

It was incredible!!!

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Problem solved. I didn't realize I had a separate optical input for DTS
Separate optical input for DTS? I have never seen that on any receivers most of them have the same digital input for DD and DTS. But then I have never looked in the back of a HK reciever.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure you have the AUTO setting turned on with your digital inputs? There shouldn't be a separate digital input for DTS. Both formats should come out of the DVD player on the same digital cable. Assuming you have your DVD player set up right to output the DTS bitstream.

Could be a problem with the HK itself in the decoder. They aren't the most reliable pieces of equipment from what I've been reading. I even had a friend who got a newer HK and it's been in the shop three times!

Dan

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Most receivers have a input selector of AUTO, DTS, and sometimes ANALOG and PCM.

When playing DTS it is usually better to set it to DTS rather than AUTO. AUTO can sometimes cause noise in the soundtrack either when it first starts or sometimes, rarely through the whole thing. I just found this out, been always using AUTO on my Yamaha with no problems, but on my new Denon I'll always set it to DTS to be on the safe side.

Is this what you did Dan?

Second possibility was that one of your digital inputs (coax, optical, whatever one you used) was possibly damaged and couldn't take the 768K DTS bitstream but the 384 Dolby bitstream didn't overload it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The cable being damaged is highly unlikely. If the cable was damaged it would do the same thing for DD, because the bitrate should make no difference to the cable. IMO. (Half bitrate DTS is 754K)

Optical vs Coaxial should not have made a difference either, it sounds like there was a configuration issue with the setup on the DVD player or the input selection on the receiver.

*edit - there is one other possibility that I have read on here before, and it WAS the cable. A person was just using a video RCA cable that was a different resistance and would cause almost the same issue. When the cable was replaced with a coaxial digital cable the issue went away. Since there is no resistance for optical, your issue went away also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks