What's new

DTS Receiver question (1 Viewer)

I recently upgraded my receiver to a Sony STR-DE845. This receiver has the DTS logo on it. Does my DVD player ALSO have to have the DTS logo on it in order to enjoy this sound format?

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Don't know about a logo, but as long as your DVD player can pass the DTS bitstream through its digital audio output it'll work. Just pop in a DTS disc and try it out.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

To clarify:
When the DTS logo appears on a DVD player does that mean that the player is capable of decoding DTS sound, or is this sound ultimately decoded at the receiver (which has the DTS logo)? My DVD player does not have a DTS logo on it. Does this mean that it will not pass the bitstream data for DTS?

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
David, please let us know what brand, model # DVD player you have, then you will have the definitive answer. :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
quote: My DVD player does not have a DTS logo on it. Does this mean that it will not pass the bitstream data for DTS?[/quote]
Correct!
But, . . . like I wrote above, if you have a DTS - Audio Music CD (PCM format), then you can play that as long you are using the optical/coax digital out from your DVD into your Sony DTS AV Receiver.
Here's the DTS FAQ] quote: Will my DVD player play DTS DVD titles?
All DTS DVDs play in 2-channel (stereo) on all DVD players within the respective DVD regions. To experience 5.1-channel DTS Digital Surround, you need a DVD player with the DTS "Digital Out" logo , plus a surround processor (pre-amp or receiver) with a built-in DTS decoding circuit.
Please note: Most DVD players require a one-time set-up command to "activate" the DTS Digital Out playback feature. Your owner's manual explains this feature in detail.[/quote]
Phil
[Edited last by Phil Iturralde on July 19, 2001 at 04:56 PM]

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
David,
I don't know if you DVD player has a decoder in it, or if you use the decoder in the reciever, but just as long as somehwere along the line a DTS decoder is active, then you will be able to enjoy this sound format. Lots of DVD players do not decode the signal, they just pass the digital stream to the receiver, which decodes it. If this is your situation (and the receiver is decoding), then it doesn't matter what DVD player you are using, it's whether the DVD has a DTS track (this of course assuming that your receiver does decoded DTS).
If you were using the decoder in the DVD player, and your reciever didn't decode DTS, then you would be dependent on your reciever to be able to decode the signal.
Man, i'm horrible at explaining things... heh...
------------------
Thanks,
kevp
[Edited last by Kevin Peak on July 19, 2001 at 04:45 PM]

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
Most DVD players have the DTS logo means that the receiver will do the work. But Make sure the receiver can do it or you'll kill your speakers.
There are some dvd players that do the DD/DTS decoding on board then sending it to a receiver with out DD/DTS decoding. I personally like the Receivers with the decoders why well usually they are better quality than the ones in the DVD players. Also the DVD players that do not do the decoding cost a bit less than the ones that do.
Jason

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
The first generation DVD players were designed before the "identifier" bit was allocated for DTS. When these players see something in the DVD disk's Table of Contents that they don't recognize (such as the DTS flag), they revert to the Dolby Digital or PCM track. So the first generation DVD players do not recognize the DTS sound track (on DVD) and cannot retreive it.
Generally, machines that do recongize the DTS data stream have the DTS logo.
Jeff Hipps

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
This is not correct. As was posted above, the DVD player must be capable of passing the DTS signal. Not all players are capable of doing this, particularly if the player is a couple of years old.
If your player can pass DTS, the logo will read "DTS Digital Out." You can connect this to your reciver with an optical or coaxial digital cable.
If your player does not have the logo, it may be time for a new DVD player!
Again, if you post what brand and model of player you have, that would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks