DTS Problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarkArlo, Oct 29, 2002.

1. DarkArlo

DarkArlo Auditioning

I'm quite new to home theater and purchased a Harmon/Kardon AVR 120 with an Athena point 5 surround sound speaker setup a few days ago.

My experience so far has been great, set it up and had no problems with it as far as Dolby Digital and normal use goes.

My first experience with DTS was just a few hours ago when I was playing Vice City (a Playstation 2 game). It has an option for DTS and I switched it over to that (I do have a digital cable running out of my PS2 and have no problems running Dolby Digital or normal stereo on it). The problem was that it ran sound out to all my speakers except for the center speaker when switched over to DTS. The LEDs on the receiver indicate that as well. I tried switching it back and forth a few times (from normal to DTS) and sometimes for a split second the center channel would give static and then cut out.

I haven't had a chance to test normal DVDs in my standalone player yet with DTS but I'm wondering if this is normal or if there is something wrong and what it might be? (wiring? bad receiver?). I find it surprising that Dolby Digital is fine and comes through on all speakers but DTS loses that center speaker. I'll try and rent a normal video DTS DVD soon and see if they work ok.

At any rate, if anyone has any idea what the problem might be I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

2. DarkArlo

DarkArlo Auditioning

Well I just ran a test on it using a DVD Video disc with DTS and it passed with flying colors. Both my standalone player and PS2 playing the DVD Video fired up the DTS on all speakers. Is it possible that Vice City is DTS encoded but not on that center channel or perhaps in some way that freaks out my center speaker? That's about all I can think of at this point. I've tried messing with options but the only ones that pop up for the PS2 audio are during DVD Video playback.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It's possible that the DTS bitstream is encoded as 4.0 or 4.1 (instead of 5.1), which would omit the center channel. Other possibilities are 1.0 (mono, center channel only), 2.0 (mains only unless Pro-Logic is used), 3.0 (three fronts, no surround), 4.0 (three fronts, mono surround, or discrete surround and no center), and 5.0 or 5.1 (all speakers discrete). Any of these could include the .1 LFE (subwoofer) channel as well (e.g. 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1).

I've seen many of these variations on Dolby Digital tracks, though I've never seen DTS as anything other than 5.1 (or 6.1 in DTS ES). But I suppose it's capable of fewer channels as well.

KJP

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This may be similar to SSX Tricky, where it has a version of DTS, but not full blown 5.1. It is most likely the game, not the player or the receiver.

The short answer is try a DTS movie.

5. DarkArlo

DarkArlo Auditioning

Yep as mentioned I think the game is just coded like SSX Tricky to not use the center channel (4.0 or 4.1 I guess). I've messed around with some DTS DVD-Videos and had no problem getting sound out of all speakers.

Thanks much for your help, managed to get it all sorted out =)

6. Matthew David

Matthew David Auditioning

I can confirm that GTA:VC is not 5.1 (4.0 or 4.1, not sure) and sound is not supposed to come from the center channel.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read that you solved it. :p