What's new

dts problem (1 Viewer)

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
I can not figure out how to play u571 with dts. It only comes up dolby digital. I have a denon 3803. On the dvd case it shows both dd and dts. If i swap my inputs off of auto and go to dts no sound.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Go into the setup menu for your DVD player (that's the player's menu, not the menu for the DVD) and make sure that DTS output is enabled. Different players list the options differently, but the proper setting is usually either "on" or "bitstream".

M.

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
it shows
dd/pcm
stream/pcm
pcm

frequency sample
96 i think

I have tried different combonations and none would make dts play. On the hell freezes over dvd it plays dts just fine but doesnt have dd.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Charlie, you should choose stream/pcm :emoji_thumbsup: You will then go to the U571 audio setup and choose DTS, make sure your receiver is set to "auto", then start the movie.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
John is correct, if it is playing DTS on other disks, you mush choose DTS from the DVD menu. Most DVD's do not defaault to the DTS track, it must be selected from the "Audio", "Setup" or "Languages" menu.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Is there a dts track available? Many DVD's packaging will show the formats available when released in the theaters (DD, dts, SDDS, etc.) but not neccessarily available on the disc. I have a few that show the dts symbol on the back, but do not have a dts track on the disk. I beleive the info on the back is taken directly from the theatrical release information. You have to read the disc features, that's usually where it says if dts is available. I have U571, but haven't watched it in a long time, so I don't remember if it does have a dts track.
Nearly all the dvd players I have seen have a way to switch through the audio tracks while the disc is playing. I almost never bother with the DVD menu selections. I press play and cyle through the tracks to reach DD or dts (if available).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yes, U571 has a DTS track. Please note that many DVD's disable the "on the fly" audio selection in order to lock out the DTS track. This is because of abnormal and possibly system damaging effects when a DTS track is played incorrectly through some decoders. This is also the reason for the "Are you sure you want to play DTS" disclaimers on many audio selection menus after selecting DTS.

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
It is a toshiba 5 disc progressive scan. I am at work and do not remember the model number. I will try changing it to stream and starting the movie over.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If it played the DTS track correctly on "Hell Freezes Over" then your DTS settings for your DVD player are correct. DTS is probably the default audio track on "Hell Freezes Over", but it is not for most. As stated above, you have to choose audio/setup/languages from the DVD's opening menu, then choose DTS from there. Very few DVD's default to DTS, most default to DD and DTS has to be selected from the menu.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, stereo is the default on HFO. Are you sure you're not getting DTS NEO:6? When you start HFO, does the DTS intro come on? If not, you are not hearing the DTS track. As Jeff said, if HFO plays DTS correctly, then you have a different problem.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it sounds like he may be getting DTS-Neo if PCM is the default for HFO. Go back and check the setting in the "setup" screen for the DVD player. Make sure you do this with no disk in the drive. There should be a setting to turn DTS and/or Bitstream on. Make sure they are on.

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
on hfo it comes up at the very start dts or pcm. I select dts and it plays the dts intro. I am fixin to mess with it and see if i can figure it out.

charlie o

Stunt Coordinator
Got it. It has the DD/DTS/PCM options under languages at the starting menu of the dvd. The players option was ok. I didnt even think that it would be under languages since it list audio most the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks