What's new

DTS playback problems (1 Viewer)

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
Heres the deal

Purchased a Onkyo HTIB s790 7.1 system. I ran a digital coax from my Samsung HD DVD players digital output to my recievers Digital coax input, and a HDMI from my DVD player to my tv. When I select DTS 5.1 on my Pearl Harbor DVD (not Dolby Digital) I get absolutely no sound. When I select Dolby Digital 5.1 it plays perfectly. What could casue this problem? Would there be a setting on this reciever that I have set incorrectly. Shouldnt it auto detect this DTS format if I have autodetect selected on my reciever. Also when I select surround modes while normal playback of Dolby Digital 5.1 is playing I cannot find Dolby Digital EX, the only settings that show up are the dolby prologic modes,and the neo6 cin and neo6 music, which both display the little red DTS Icon above, and this DTS icon (which I can only play on the neo6 mode) is also present when I choose the DTS playback (even though Im getting no sound).

Sorry if this is long but I hope it makes sense.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Most dvd players ship from the factory, with DTS turned off, because most of the population doesn't have a home theater setup. I didn't know the new High def players did too, but evidently they do. Go into the player's setup menus, and set the audio output to "Bitstream", or "Raw", not PCM. It may just say DTS "ON" or "OFF", depending on the terminology they use.

As far as auto detecting DTS sound in a movie.............no. It will automatically go to Dolby Digital 5.1, but not DTS. You have to choose the DTS track, in the movie's menus. It will auto detect DTS on a DTS music cd (usually, I think), but not a movie.
Good luck, and enjoy your new receiver.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
thats EXACTLY what I was just told by an Onkyo representative, thanks for the help!!

J

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That's because they read it here first. Tech support is much better at HTF than anything from the company. :D

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
Well I'm glad I found this forum. Ive just been bitten bigtime by the Home Theater bug. I am definately addicted. I was a big car audio guy for a long time and have lost interest in that. Just bought my first home, and I definately want my HT to rock. Im about to order a SVS 25 31 PCPLUS sub and I cant stay off the computer reading about it. I purchased the Onkyo system just for the reciever basically and am already ready to upgrade the speakers and sub.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
SVS also sells some very nice speakers. The tube subs are Monsters! I wish I could afford one................. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Fyi: Samsung does not make an HD-DVD player. You may be referring to an upscaling DVD player which they confusingly refer to as an HD DVD player but it is not. Samsung is in the BRD camp, and they make a BRD player, but not an HD-DVD player.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
What if there is an option for DTS on and off, as well, as PCM to bitstream. I have both, should I select DTS and Bitstream also, or leave it on PCM and select DTS?

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
so the Samsung DVD player that I have is advertised as a HD DVD player, which i assume is because it upconverts to 720i and 1080i. Is there a difference between what I have and an actual HD DVD player (im guessing that there is)? Is my DVD player not capable of playing HD DVD's??

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yes, there is a difference between what you have and an actual HD-DVD player. Your DVD player is not capable of playing HD-DVDs. The only HD "capability" your DVD player has is that it can upconvert DVDs to HD resolution.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes.......your dvd player still uses 480 lines of resolution. The new HD DVD player uses 1080 lines of resolution, making a very noticable difference in the pictures.
Of course, your tv must have a 1080p input, to take full advantage of the HD DVD and Blu-ray players. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
That is correct, your player is an upconverting DVD player. It plays the DVD format. HD-DVD is a different format, which requires an HD-DVD player capable of playing those discs. Much like a CD player is not at all the same thing as a DVD player, a DVD player is not the same as an HD-DVD player that actually plays HD-DVDs, or BluRay players which play BluRay, a competitor to the HD-DVD format.

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/
http://www.blu-ray.com/

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

This might be a bit confusing said like this. The DVD format is 480i, while HD-DVD can provide up to 1080p. However as his player does upscaled DVDs, it scales the video to greater than 480i to HD resolutions, however the source content itself is not high-definition, and therein lies the major difference. You can scale DVD up to 1080p, but that's not the same as having an actual native 1080p source.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
No I understand it perfectly, thanks for taking the time, all this can be confusing i know but I get the picture. Hopefully I'll run across a PS3 containing a Blu-Ray player sometime soon to take advantage of my new TV's capabilities. You guys know how it is, just bought my first home and trying to learn about as much of this stuff as I can.

To be honest I can barely tell the difference between normal DVD resolution and upscaled 1080i resolution on my upconverting DVD player. O well what can you expect for $100 bucks right. All i know is it looks dam sexy matched perfectly with my DLP Samsung TV :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks