DTS "Out" and DTS ES & 6.1 Discrete

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Everett Painter, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Everett Painter

I just upgraded my receiver this week to a Ymamha RX-V1300 and had my first taste (finally) of DTS sound last night.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I do have a question about DTS ES and 6.1 Discrete (and I guess really DD ES as well). My dvd player is a 2 year old Pioneer DV-525 with on-board DD decoding and "DTS out". I have it connected via toslink.
    Now, these matrixed and 6.1 discrete formats we not around when I bought this. Do the signals that carry basic DTS vs. DTS 6.1 different? Will my "DTS out" player get the newer 6.1 signal to my receiver?
    Thanks for the help. I really have no idea about this since I haven't had to worry about it until now.

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Couple obvious things to make sure you ARE getting DTS, is to choose the DTS track in the DVD menu, otherwise, the DVD player will output DD. And it WILL pass through the DD EX and DTS ES matrix tracks. Thats really the same 5.1 mix, exactly the same, theres nothing different at all. I am not totally positive that it will pass through ES discrete though. I would think so, but then again, I think i remember somewhere that some dvd players either dont pass through dts, or es discrete. My memory evades me. But you will definitely get the 5.1 tracks. The way discrete and matrix work are actually two very different beasts, so in a way i wouldnt be surprised if it didn't pick up or pass through the discrete 6th channel. I beleive it rides in the "extension" that dts uses for its 96/24 play. Anyway, I'm making this elaborate point, I don't know why, just to say that I don't know. [​IMG]
    Oh, btw, you probably should be able to tell on your receiver. I know my marantz lights up the different channels of discrete info coming in, and then lights up another indicator, whether its in EX mode, or PLII, etc, so you can tell if its matrix or discrete coming in. Perhaps your yamaha does something similar? I do know that this isnt covered in the horribly translated manual of my 5300, so you may have to do a little exploration. Hope that helps.

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Everett, your Pioneer player will output all currently used DTS (and Dolby Digital) variants with no problems, including DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.

Adam

5. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

6. Everett Painter

Great! Thanks for the help guys.

7. JamesKr

JamesKr Agent

I'm using a two year old Sony DVD player with a new Denon 3803. If I select DTS OUT from the DVD player menu and select DTS SURROUND from the movie menu, then my receiver does detect either DTS Matrix or DTS Discrete, depending on the movie encoding. So you should have no problems with your player. The Denon is nice because it actually says ES DISCRETE or ES MATRIX in the digital display.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Everett,

One thing to keep in mind:

The vast majority of DDEX (not DTSES) dvds are not flagged properly. This means that your receiver will not auto-detect the DDEX and switch to 6.1.

If you play a DDEX disc and the autodetect doesn't switch your receiver to EX mode you must do it manually.