DTS or DD for music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Andrew O'Brien, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to Dolby Digital and DTS, a couple of music related DVD's that I have (not DVD_A) offer a choice of Dolby Digital or DTS for audio formats. Which do you guys usually choose? The DTS sound appear lower and not as good as DD on the couple of discs I have tried but I may not have my receiver set-up correctly for DTS.

Andy.

2. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I go out of my way to buy music dvd-v's that have a dts track...

Personal preference. Non negotiable .[​IMG]

3. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I think the Limey blokes from Coldplay cheated on their DVD. It was labeled DTS and the DVD Player even allowed me to select DTS but the DTS light on my receiver was never activated. I switched DVDs to the Binonic Movie , it lit the DTS light on the receiver. Sound was better than DD, IMO.

Andy

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

It's all personal preference... but, here's a few I have found that shine in the dts mode:
    Heart - Alive in Seattle
    Peter Gabriel - SWL
    Zeppelin - How The West...
    U2 - Go Home

There is one, 'Rattle & Hum' that has a DD track that ROCKS. Best DD I've heard .

5. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

I agree with PhilBoy, dts is invariably my first choice. Try the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" dvd in dts. Awesome [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Diana Krall: Live In Paris[Dts]
    Sting: All this time [DD]

7. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

DTS is less compressed than DD, or so I'm told...which causes it to sound better during playback.

DTS does sound better to me than DD. In fact, when offered a choice, I go straight to DTS.

Experiment with both. I think you'll agree

[​IMG] Dave

8. Michael K Hill

A second vote for Diana Krall Live in Paris - that is still one of my favorite demo discs.

Also, The Who: Live at Royal Albert Hall is fantastic.

9. James USAF

James USAF Agent

Waiting for my Grateful Dead "The Closing of Winterland". Think it is their first DVD that has a DTS track. Hoping for some Phil bombs. [​IMG]

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I have never heard a Dolby Digital music track that sounds as good as its DTS counterpart. If anyone has, please list the title.

(Speaking of "Closing of Winterland", I was disappointed to find that I prefer my old bootleg CDs of that show to the new DTS surround mix. Still sounds good, and much better than any previous GD DVD release, but I prefer my booties...)

11. James USAF

James USAF Agent

Rich...I know what you mean. One thing I love about the Dead is the fact you can download their concerts. SHN + Cable internet = A bunch of concerts.

I actually have the show on VCD...but the audio quality is not very good. I do not have the show on CD...but am sure I can find it. [​IMG]

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

James, I think there are "official" CDs of that show now, but I'm talking about the bootlegs that started circulating around 99-00 with the entire show, including the FM-broadcast portion of the first 3-4 tunes (with the DJs announcing Graham's descent from the rafters via giant flaming doobie). I do wonder how the "official" CDs sound compared to my boots...