DTS on PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Wilcox, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Joshua Wilcox

Joshua Wilcox Auditioning

I've been lurking around this site for a while, waiting for the day when I have a real income to waste on high end electronics. Until then, I have an excellent setup on my computer. My soundcard has a Dolby 5.1 decoder. Coupled with my surround sound speakers, it is amazing in my small area. I was wondering, however, if I can make my computer DTS compatible. Please be as detailed as possible in your answers because, again, I'm no professional![​IMG] Thanks in advance!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

PowerDVD can pass DTS through a coax digital in, it will also do a stereo downconversion, but I don't know of any PC card with onboard DTS

3. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    You might want to consider getting an inexpensive receiver that includes DTS decoding.

Many modern sound cards (you don't mention which one you have) include a serial digital output (often called S/PDIF = Sony/Philips Digital InterFace) that's compatible with the signal used by most audio equipment.

Also, at least a couple of companies (JVC and Yamaha, for example) make receivers that have USB inputs.

I hope this helps a little.

4. Joshua Wilcox

Sorry, I have a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 and it does have an S/PDIF. I just never knew I could hook that up to a receiver. Thanks for the help!

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this to the Computers/HTPC area.

6. Joshua Wilcox

Oh, sorry! I thought my question was a basic one :b

Anyway, I figured I should ask about this... do you guys know of any cheap receivers that can run DTS and connect to my soundcard? Thanks!

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    I thought PowerDVD has audio pack that decodes DTS, and presumably, outputs multi-channel audio to your multi-speaker capable sound card.

8. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    PowerDVD decoded DTS in software. Just set it to 6 speakers, and it will play fine.