DTS now free for PS2 developers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jean-Michel, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

From Gamasutra (free registration required)

The gist of the story is that DTS will no longer be charging a licensing fee for developers who want to use DTS in their games. Given the performance hit that results from using multichannel sound on the PS2 I don't expect a whole lot of games will take advantage of this, but we should at least see more than the trickle we're getting now.

2. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I dunno, I doubt there will be too many more DTS titles. It seems that Dolby Pro Logic II implementations are becoming more and more popular with developers. Perhaps these are easier to implement/require less processing power/are nearly as effective?

Doesn't bother me, so long as I get good surround sound in some type.

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I wonder if Sony is actually feeling the bite from the xbox, on the multichannel sound front?

4. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I agree with Allen. Most people just have their game systems hooked up via the composite cables that came with them, including Xbox owners.

6. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Yeah, at most Sony might be thinking "Damn, we should've went mulitchannel but, what the hell...our system is selling like hotcakes. We'll put it in next time".

For anyone that has a decent DTS/DD hometheater, the sound does make a pretty damn big difference.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

If it can do realtime dts encoding, without modifying the hardware, then yes, I'd say that the technology was there. :)

9. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Bottom line is DTS licensing fee was too expensive (I speak as a game developer).

Additionally, you have Dolby in one corner offering free licensing (they make money on the hardware), and in the other corner you have DTS charging both hardware and software makers.

DTS isn't charging any more likely because no one wanted to pay for it.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The DTS thing took a while to develop and requires some pretty tricky programming, AFAIK, so they couldn't have it implemented like the X-Box does when the PS2 came out. Plus, it wasn't a selling point until the X-Box used it.

And it does make a difference. My bro got GTA:VC for Christmas and the DTS sounds excellent.

11. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I think Dolby Digital 5.1 makes a remarkable difference in the experience for most games. "Halo" offers a stunning soundtrack. Those with EX capability can also turn it on for XBOX games - "Halo" turns into a nearly perfect 360-degree surround experience in DD 5.1-EX.