What's new

DTS not working... I think =) (1 Viewer)

Chris_FFF

Grip
Hi, I have a Panasonic DVD player, with a DTS sticker on the front. It's connect to a Dennon receiver with DTS encoding through an optical cable. When I use a DVD that say DTS on the front I get Dolby Digital II. There is a little light that comes on for DTS and I have been unable to get it to work. Even by using different selections. Question being, is it working, or should I be doing somehting else? Thanks!

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Have you selected the DTS option when you start to play the DVD? Many DVD's default to DD or DPL unless you select DTS via the Menu or Audio buttons.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
DD II, is that by chance Dolby Prologic 2, or do you mean DD 2.0? You may have to check the setup of your DVD player to make sure you are outputting 5.1 and also check the setup of the receiver to ensure you are outputting a 5.1 bitstream. Also, check any sound fields you may be using (mono movie, stadium etc).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In addition to the other points raised, make sure that your Panasonic player has DTS output enabled. Unless they've changed their practices, Panasonic players ship from the factory with the DTS output off by default.

You need to enter your player's setup mode, find the option for DTS output and toggle it to on (it may say "bitstream" or something similar). Then, when you play a DVD with a DTS track, just remember to select the correct track.

M.

Chris_FFF

Grip
ok, I looked at the manual, I have a Dennon that has Dolby Pro Logic II decoder
Dolby Digital Decoder and DTS
Unfortunaltly I just returned the only DVD I had that was DTS, but I do remember going to setup and selecting Dolby 5.1, not sure what all my choices were. Was that the correct choice? I'll also check the output of the player Neil, see what I can figure out. =) Thanks for the help guys.

Chris_FFF

Grip
Mike, you were right on. The DTS was optioned "off" why would they do that I wonder? I turned it on, it did say bitstream, is there anything else I should do, or will it work ok now? Thanks again!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That should do it, Chris. The next time you have a disc with a DTS track, just select it. Assuming your receiver is connected and configured correctly, you shouldn't need to do anything else.

The DTS was optioned "off" why would they do that I wonder?
There's a remote risk that, in a system that can't handle DTS, selecting DTS output might send a burst of noise to the speakers, possibly damaging them. I don't know of anyone who's ever had it happen, but that's the reason the factory setting is off.

On many discs with DTS, you'll get a warning screen when selecting the DTS track. Same reason.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks