What's new

DTS, no sound. I'm stumped (1 Viewer)

Rob Bruce

Agent
As the title implies, I'm having trouble with DTS mode producig any sound. I have a dts capable dvd player(panasonic dvd-a120), and reciever (Yamaha rx-v620), as well as Gladiator, that has a dts soundtrack. I set the reciever into dts mode, put the movie into dts mode, connected them with optical cables, and...no sound. I also tried coax digital, as well as regular analog audio with no sound either. When the dvd player is set to optical, it recognises a PCM signal, but that's it.

I'm stumped, why can't i hear DTS?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
See if you have to change the DVD player set-up. There is usually an audio option to allow DTS output. Most DVD players are shipped with the default setting to NOT output DTS. The reason for this is that accidentally playing a DTS track on equipment not intended for DTS may damage the equipment.

Good luck,

Chris

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

Like Chris said-- go into the Panny setup menu (should be the "action" button on the A120). In the player setup menu, there will be some audio options- and by default DTS is set to OFF. You have to chnage it to bitstream.

-Vince

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has this same problem with a Mits. dvd player. Will this solution work for him?

Steve

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

Possibly. I knew from personal experience that the DTS setting is off by default on Panasonic players- and knew how to get into the menu to fix it (again coming from the fact that the first 5 DVD players i owned were Panasonic).

I would double check that your friends player even offers DTS passthrough (some players don't)... and then consult the manual to see if the player has a setup menu to tinker with audio settings (should be the same munu that lets you set TV aspect ratio). It won't be the ACTION button like the Panasonic-- but it should have a similar menu.

-Vince

Rob Bruce

Agent
Hey, thanks. Yes, that action button. I didn't even know there was a menu on my dvd player. oooh, look at all the settings.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Hey, thanks. Yes, that action button. I didn't even know there was a menu on my dvd player. oooh, look at all the settings.
Yessss.... Look at them...

Some pretty important settings in this menu- including the ability to turn on DTS (I'm actually suprised you didn't check the manual for the player when you had the problem in the first place).

Let me know if DTS gets happening for you!

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks