What's new

DTS:Neo6 vs DolbyPrologic2 and Denon2802 vs Onkyotx797 (1 Viewer)

StevenS

Auditioning
Hi everyone!

What's happens? Nobody knows the difference between those 2 modes?

I am in a process of buying new receiver and thinking about

Denon 2802 or Onkyo TX-787 or 797. I hope you can give me a

proc and cons between them.

Beside that I cannot understand the difference between DTS:NEO6 mode and Dolby Prologic2.

Do I really have to get Prologic 2 or DTS:NEO6 is doing same?

I appreciate you help.

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
There are several posts explaining Prologic 2 and Neo 6. Try the search in the Hardware forum and you should get plenty of posts explaining. I recently bought the 2802 but i wasn't pleased with it and i'm sending it back for a Yamaha HTR 5490. The Denon is nice but doesn't have everything i'm looking for on it. I don't really care for the Denon remote and there are some functions that are not on the remote that i'd like to be. I have no idea about the Onkyo i've never demoed one.

Kerry R

Grip
Steve,

I'm also consiedring buying a Denon 2802? Could you tell me what features it doesn't have that you are looking for?

Thanks

StevenS

Auditioning
At first I still cann't deside if I want to spend extra $200

for 7th speaker amplifier (right know I have 5 speaker system and will add speakers in a future - who know when?) and better remote. This is decision between 2802 and 3802.

Another choice is Onkyo tx-d797. It has 6 channel amplifier

as a 2802 but in addition it has THX certification, I think it should mean something and composite-to-S-video conversion. It is a useful feature if it can improve video,

but I cannot find is it or not?

As of Neo6 vs DolbyPrologic2 I still didn't get the difference, but understood that everyone like Prologic more.

Right know I thinking more about 3802 model. I can get it around $800.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I would certainly go with the 797 because of of the additional power. It also has THX certification which guarantees ample power. It also has 192khz/24bit DAC's, twice the speed of Denon's 96khz DAC's. The 797 also has much better conectivity with nearly twice as many digital inputs. Also, you get a much better remote, and the Onkyo has much better ergonomics. Another thing is, if you listen to music, the 797 has a very sweet and warm sounding compared to the 2802. The 2802 doesn't have the power and the clarity that the 797 has. I would go with the 797(I did;) )

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Kerry,

Call me picky but i was not able to find a way to turn the rear center channel off without having to get up and go to the receiver itself to disable/enable it. A light will light up when it detects 6.1 but in order to enable the rear speaker you have to push the 6.1/7.1 button on the receiver (which the remote doesn't have). This isn't that big a deal i guess but i prefer some movies in 5.1 and do not like listening to them using the non-matrixed rear center channel.

Also i would have liked to have had front inputs. The Yamaha i demoed at a friends house sold itself almost the minute i saw it. It had everything i needed, nice remote, front inputs, and i loved the read-out on the front of the receiver.

Don't get me wrong the 2802 is a great receiver i just think that the Yamaha is better and it's the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks