DTS:Neo6 vs DolbyPrologic2 and Denon2802 vs Onkyotx797

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenS, Jan 16, 2002.

1. StevenS

StevenS Auditioning

Hi everyone!

What's happens? Nobody knows the difference between those 2 modes?

I am in a process of buying new receiver and thinking about

Denon 2802 or Onkyo TX-787 or 797. I hope you can give me a

proc and cons between them.

Beside that I cannot understand the difference between DTS:NEO6 mode and Dolby Prologic2.

Do I really have to get Prologic 2 or DTS:NEO6 is doing same?

I appreciate you help.

2. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

There are several posts explaining Prologic 2 and Neo 6. Try the search in the Hardware forum and you should get plenty of posts explaining. I recently bought the 2802 but i wasn't pleased with it and i'm sending it back for a Yamaha HTR 5490. The Denon is nice but doesn't have everything i'm looking for on it. I don't really care for the Denon remote and there are some functions that are not on the remote that i'd like to be. I have no idea about the Onkyo i've never demoed one.

3. Kerry R

Kerry R Extra

Steve,

I'm also consiedring buying a Denon 2802? Could you tell me what features it doesn't have that you are looking for?

Thanks

4. StevenS

StevenS Auditioning

At first I still cann't deside if I want to spend extra $200

for 7th speaker amplifier (right know I have 5 speaker system and will add speakers in a future - who know when?) and better remote. This is decision between 2802 and 3802.

Another choice is Onkyo tx-d797. It has 6 channel amplifier

as a 2802 but in addition it has THX certification, I think it should mean something and composite-to-S-video conversion. It is a useful feature if it can improve video,

but I cannot find is it or not?

As of Neo6 vs DolbyPrologic2 I still didn't get the difference, but understood that everyone like Prologic more.

Right know I thinking more about 3802 model. I can get it around $800.

5. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I would certainly go with the 797 because of of the additional power. It also has THX certification which guarantees ample power. It also has 192khz/24bit DAC's, twice the speed of Denon's 96khz DAC's. The 797 also has much better conectivity with nearly twice as many digital inputs. Also, you get a much better remote, and the Onkyo has much better ergonomics. Another thing is, if you listen to music, the 797 has a very sweet and warm sounding compared to the 2802. The 2802 doesn't have the power and the clarity that the 797 has. I would go with the 797(I did[​IMG] )

6. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Kerry,

Call me picky but i was not able to find a way to turn the rear center channel off without having to get up and go to the receiver itself to disable/enable it. A light will light up when it detects 6.1 but in order to enable the rear speaker you have to push the 6.1/7.1 button on the receiver (which the remote doesn't have). This isn't that big a deal i guess but i prefer some movies in 5.1 and do not like listening to them using the non-matrixed rear center channel.

Also i would have liked to have had front inputs. The Yamaha i demoed at a friends house sold itself almost the minute i saw it. It had everything i needed, nice remote, front inputs, and i loved the read-out on the front of the receiver.

Don't get me wrong the 2802 is a great receiver i just think that the Yamaha is better and it's the same price range.