dts neo:6 with 5.1 system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Naddy, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Naddy

Naddy Extra

Hi all,

I was wandering if you can use the dts:neo6 music and cinema modes when you have a 5.1 setup, and if so, do they provide any benefits?

Thanks!

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I'm not sure that NEO-6 is available on any 5.1 system.

The only "6.1 on 5.1" thing I'm familiar with is that some of Yamaha's low/mid-level recievers perform "Phantom 6.1" with 5.1 speakers ("Yamaha Matrix 6.1"), but it doesn't seem that NEO-6 is available on these recievers.

3. Michael Langdon

Michael Langdon Stunt Coordinator

On my processor DTS Neo:6 is available to be used on DTS 5.1. I use DTS Neo:6 on DTS 5.1 just like forcing or turning on EX for Dolby Digital 5.1 to extract a rear center channel.

4. Naddy

Naddy Extra

Well, I guess what I'm really asking is: I have a receiver that has the dts:neo6 music and cinema modes, however I only have a 5.1 speaker system hooked up to the receive, so what actually happens if I try to listen to these dts:neo6 modes with only a 5.1 speaker system?

Thanks for any help!

5. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

DTS:NEO6 is similar to prologic II. It extracts a 6 channelss from 5 channel input and even 2 channel input. In the case of 5.1 the rear channel will play out of both surrounds. All that being said, the consensous opinion and my experience shows, that it is never worth trying to use it to upgrade from 5 to 6 channels and that most of the time prologic II is better for upgrading from 2 to 5 channels.

6. BruceLongee

BruceLongee Agent

According to the DTS Neo:6 datasheet,

Neo 6 provides up to six full-band channels of matrix decoding from stereo matrix material. Users with 6.1 and 5.1 systems will derive six and five separate channels, respectively, corresponding to the standard home-theater speaker layouts. (The ".1" subwoofer channel is generated by bass management in the preamp or receiver.)