1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DTS Neo 6 vs. Dolby Pro Logic II (CONSOLIDATED THREAD)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by james e m, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Patrick hit the nail on the head. That's why I like Dolby II over DTS Neo. But it's really up to you. What I have always told friend's is to fool around with the receiver & whatever sounds best to you is the way to go. Never mind what someone has has to say. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I used PL2 Music for TV, with the center width adjusted a bit wider than the default.

For music, neither is worth much IMHO. Compared to 2-channel stereo, PL2 has a bloated midrange and midbass that is inaccurate; some people may like this for some types of music, but I don't.

DTS-Neo is the opposite, it almost seems to have a recessed midrange. DTS-Neo does seem to provide a bigger, more open soundstage than PL2, and actually might not be too bad for certain types of classical music.

That said, even though these two surround modes provide a large soundstage by bringing the surrounds into the action, the front soundstage is lacking depth and imaging isn't as nearly laccurate as 2-channel stereo from the sweet spot. So when I want to sit down for some critical listening, I always use plain old stereo.

I would like to see what the hi-rez multi-channel recordings sound like, though. Hopefully I'll have DVD-A playback capability in the near future.

3. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

DPLII
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    FYI: Neo:6 is designed to make use of the BACK surround(s) and Dolby Pro-Logic II is not.

Having said that, my Denon AVR-3803 still allows the back surrounds to be used during Dolby Pro-Logic II decoding in a "non-martixed" mode--the back surrounds are given the same signal as the surrounds.

I like both formats. It really depends on the source material for me. However, I do tend to find myself in Pro-Logic II mode more often.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jeff,

I agree with your sensibilities regarding stereo music and critical listening. I haven't given DPL Music a try yet and don't really care to tell you the truth. I'm perfectly happy with good ol stereo.

However, I was referring to stuff like TV and DPL LaserDiscs. Sorry about the confusions.

6. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

Not all DPL II implementations are created equal. Some are great, some so-so.

I've got a Rockford/Fosgate FAP T-1, and the DPL-II implemetation is spectacular. (I'd expect this since Jim Fosgate was a key member of the design team for this product).

The DTS Neo processing is embedded in the Cirrus chipsets used in many receivers.

Big differences are the adjustability of the DPL-II parameters to suit your room, speakers, and tastes, and the naturalness of vocals and depth and width of the surround field.

7. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

With my Denon 3802 - DPL2 is much more true to what I anticipate the sound movement was meant to be - that is the sounds move from the right point a to b. Center focused? - yep, most dialog is. Neo is much too artificial for my ear (granted it is louder and more room filling, but seems artificial).

This is HT only - I do not (and will not) listen to music in anything other than direct or one of the stereo modes.

Let your ear rule...

8. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

To me, I have always found Neo 6 to be superior to DPLII.

9. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

I attended a showing of PLII at fosgates home. It was amazing. He demonstrated what each control does. We listened to movies and music with all types of configurations.

For me, I like the PLII music mode over the neo 6 music. Dimension 6, center width 5, and panorama on.

For 2 channel movies and TV I like Neo 6 Cinema. It seems more stable in the center and rear speakers.

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I use both. I prefer NEO:6 for TV, but PLII for anything else. NEO:6 sounds cleaner with normal TV programming, But I agree that it can sound artificial with other things.

PLII seems more bass heavy.

11. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I haven't heard NEO:6 yet but I do have DPLII on my system and I really enjoy it. I like being able to adjust it for the simple fact of being able to taylor it to the movie/music I'm listening to. Different things sound better with different settings in the DPL2 paramaters. I know when I watch older movies that aren't being broadcast in 5.1 on my cable that the DPL2 does a very good job of steering the sound appropriately around the room and making for a near 5.1 experience. Everyone thats heard it on my system really likes it. I'd be very interested in hearing NEO:6 though just to see what the difference is.

12. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I'm a Neo:6 fan also. I have been highly disappointed with DPL II. I would never buy a reciever just for DPL II. However I do like DPL II for music better than Neo:6. Even so I like other modes for music over DPL II.

13. Dale Ridgeway

Dale Ridgeway Stunt Coordinator

another vote here DTS Neo.
    I have an AVR 8000 so I have the benefit of chossing DPL II, DTS Neo, or Logic 7. and so far my ears like Neo alot.
    Everything seems more dynamic and seperated when compared to DPL II and even L7.
    The problem is, that you get different results with different sources. Its almost like you have to try an A/B/C comparison test with every source to see which sounds better. While this can be a pain, I guess it's nice to have the options.
    So far Im using Neo for most CD's, and Cable TV.
    2 channel movies Im using DPL II and Logic 7.
    At first I thought DPL II wasnt much of an improment from standard DPL Untill I tried it out with episode one last night. I was suprised that it "almost" seemed 5.1
    It's really cool that you get a hard anchored center without the cross talk. Better yet, are the surrounds, with are actually seperated without the echoe effect that DPL had.
    DTS has the same, parhaps even better channel seperation, but steps it up in the bass department, something that DPL II and logic seem to lack.
    FWIW DTS Neo is several db's louder than DPL II.
    Whichever format you choose, Im not sure you could go wrong. All are light years ahead of the original DPL.
    Anyone remember the days when DPL ruled??? [​IMG]
    It blew me away for years. So im sure these formats will keep us happy for a while.

14. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

My new Aragon has both dtsNeo6 and PLII. I haven't used dtsNeo6 mainly because I wasn't sure what it was?! I guess I have something new to play with. I have been using PLII for TV only. With music I use Stereo direct mode.

Thanks for the information.

15. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Oddly, the Panasonic SAHE100 (and, I'm guessing, the 200) offer the option of including the back surround on PLII.

16. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I was a big fan of PL-II for music until I got a new receiver with Neo6. Both are great but Neo 6 sounds more natural to me. Neo6 Cinema for television is outstanding because it makes good use of the center rear channel. I was watching That 70's Show the other night and could hear the canned applause coming from all three surrounds. It was very enveloping but without sounding artificial.

PL-II does seem to have more bass, but in my opinion Neo6 sounds more "accurate". Switching back and forth between each mode and direct/stereo, Neo6 seems to retain the music's original character better than PL-II.

It also may depend on the type of music you're listening to. For instance, when I listen to any punk rock, ska or hardcore, I use DPL-II because it usually sounds better. But for bluegrass, folk, classical, pop, etc. I use Neo6 because it really brings out the clarity of stringed instruments (especially acoustic guitar and mandolin). But hey, it's all about personal preference! Just having the option of both is sweet!

17. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I agree with Jeremy. I have a Denon 2802 and preferred DTS Neo 6. Not by a huge margin, but it did sound slightly better. I have not played with the adjustments yet, though.

18. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I prefer Neo for music and PL-II for movies. Music sounds way too artificial in PL-II music mode. I tried adjusting everything but still prefer Neo for music.

19. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

So, in a sense, this is like the DTS/DD debate! [​IMG]

20. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

hehe