What's new

DTS Neo 6 vs. Dolby Pro Logic II (CONSOLIDATED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I was just curious I havn't heard of a head to head comparison about these too formats. To tell you the truth I really havn't heard much feedback about the dts neo:6 at all and I've heard a ton of good things about Dolby Pro Logic II, so maybe I answered my own question. What do you guys think?
james

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Most will disagree with me but...DTS Neo:6 wins hands down.....DPL II was much too center channel oriented for my tastes...

Eric.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

"DPL II was much too center channel oriented for my tastes... "

Did you try adjusting Center Width parameter in DPLII Music?

Shawn

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Shawn F:

No I haven't adjusted the Center Width Parameter...however....to me DPL II should NOT need this type of adjustment.

Supposedly this is the best implementation of Pro Logic, and yet the end user has to make further adjustments!?

IMO, In fact, DPL II should not need any of the three adjustments that can be made, "Panorama, Dimension and Center Width."

At least with Neo:6 music mode the FL and FR are played directly without processing. Center and surround add effect and ambiance. I like the fact that it doesn't mess with the original stereo music tracks.

Eric.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
My feelings are the opposite. I easily prefer Pro Logic II over NEO for both Cinema and Music modes. (Truthfully, I don't use the Music mode much at all. I still cling to my old 2 channel ways there... ;) )
To my ears, DPL II just sounds more natural to me. DPL II is much less center channel oriented to me than old Pro Logic was.
I upgraded to a Denon 3802 specifically for DPL II. I have not been disappointed. In fact, I liked DPL II so much that I swapped my bedroom receiver for a new little DPL II ready Kenwood. Worth every cent!

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
"....to me DPL II should NOT need this type of adjustment. "

Why?

It gives the end user the flexibility to tailor the sound more to their liking.

If you didn't want it to steer as much material to the center it would have taken you all of 10-15 seconds to adjust the Center Width to change that. Do it once and you would never have to touch it again. Some people like a hard steered center some don't. The adjustment lets it work either way and with several steps in between. Ditto surround level and instrument placement.

For the record I don't have an opinion between DPLII and DTS NEO yet. I'm waiting for a software upgrade for my processor which will add the two flavors of NEO. Then I can compare it directly to DPLII, and Logic 7 as well, on the same machine with the same crossover and level settings.

I was just pointing out that there is a setting in DPLII that can adjust your original complaint against it.

Shawn

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I also feel that PLII is too "center oriented", matter of fact I just started a post about PLII (before reading this one). Not really impressed with it so far.

Shawn - How do you make adjustments to PLII? I have the Denon 2802.

Haven't really tried DTS Neo:6 yet. So I can't really comment on it.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Vlad,

" How do you make adjustments to PLII? I have the Denon 2802. "

I don't know the exact key sequence on your Denon but on my Lex I just go into 'Mode Adjustments' and change the 'Center Width' parameter. It adjusts how much, or how little, is steered to the center channel.

Shawn

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
EricK,

DPL2 Creator Jim Fosgate admits to using adjustable DPL2-Music for his movies....because DPL2-Movie is not adjustable (but can be basically replicated by making adjustments in the music mode).

Shawn/Vlad,

Not all DPL2 processors have the adjustable parameters.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question,

I just got a new Denon 1082 receiver which has options for both DTS Neo 6 and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Which do you guys prefer?
Whats the difference between the two?
Do they basically have the same objective?

I guess thats more than 1 quick question, but all responce is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
All those initial reports of DPL2 being much more superior to DTS Neo6 were a bunch of hooie. DTS Neo6 is absolutely incredible. I, as well as others here, find it much more involving w/ greater depth, presence, and bass. IMO, DTS Neo6 is a must have in my receiver for music and stereo/satellite TV.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I tend to agree with Kevin. I use DTS:Neo 6 more than DPL2 in my Outlaw 950. It seems to add more content to the surround but, more important, it seems to have less impact on the timbral qualities of the content. And this applies to both music and movies (with the music and movie DTS:Neo settings).

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
It seems to add more content to the surround but, more important, it seems to have less impact on the timbral qualities of the content. And this applies to both music and movies (with the music and movie DTS:Neo settings).
Is it just me, or does it seem like the high-end is rolled-off somewhat in DPL2, in both Cinema and Music modes? I've been using DPL2-Music for TV/Sat, but I don't like it very much for music. Maybe I should give DTS:Neo a try.

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
mike,

dts neo6 and dpl2 have basically the same goal: to produce a believable surround field out of dolby pro logic encoded
or non encoded stereo software. dts neo6 pays attention to the back surround speaker(s) while dpl2 does not.
in other words: dts neo6 is a 6.0 matrix format and dpl2 is a 5.0 matrix format. both do a fine job, but neither dts neo6 and dlp2 are wizards. the so often described effect, the industry would like us to make believe *you get a nearly 100% 5.1 presentation as you know it from 5.1 discrete dvd's* is pure nonsense. both formats sound more convincing and more realistic then the *old* dpl1 was ever able to sound, but nonetheless not nearly as separated as a real 5.1 mix. personally i like dlp2 better over dts neo6 because it sounds more natural to me with better separation and better detail.

however: IMO, neither dts neo6 nor dpl2 comes even close when compared to logic7 found on the new harman kardon receivers for the first time (in consumer market) as 7.1 channel system up from the avr320 or higher models and of course found in the lexicon processors.

regards, holger

itai

Stunt Coordinator
mike
i have the denon 3802, (same dsp's), and as it says in the manual, the dts6 is a mix of "direct" feed to the mains, and dpl2 signal to the center and surrounds, though less obviuos than dpl2.
what you get with dts neo6 is the clear, unproccesed sound of your source, together with some prologic space and depth.
personally, i prefer it to dpl2, which goes through the dsp and looses quality on the journy. (muted sound), and is too center oriented with to my taste.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Quite frankly I don't even see that big of a jump from DPL to DPL2. From the first time I heard it last summer I thought it was vastly overrated. The initial reports had it sounding like it turned regular cable into 5.1. Please... I have found Neo to be much better than DPL2. It is clearer and just does not feel manufactured or contrived like DPL2 does. Neither come close to simulating DD or DTS but if I had to choose it would easily be Neo. On a side note I also prefer the generic circle surround found on some cheaper receivers like the Kenwood over DPL2.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mike,

Thanks for this thread! DPL II on my Onkyo797 sounded pretty bad...I thought it was the receiver. I too listen in Neo:6 as too me, it has more interaction with what I am watching.

For music...All Channel Stereo all the way.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks