What's new

DTS lossless option on both HD-DVD and BLU-RAY... (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I tend to agree with Aaron, if a lossless compression code can be utilised for audio then I am all for the most data space possible made available for video.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
quote:Wow, so if a dts decoder is built into every player don't you think the price will be pretty high? Or will DTS become what DD is today?

Well, most DVD players on the market today (if not all) have built-in DD and DTS decoders . The first DTS-capable players could only pass the DTS bitstream, but later onboard DD and DTS decoders became the norm. I just bought a $70 Pioneer player that has a lot more packed into it than the $800 player (which I got at a bargain $400) that I started out with. That was a 2nd gen. player that couldn't even pass DTS. The new one does just about everything and has the most invisible layer change I've ever seen!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Rich:

quote:On the other hand (you know, the "big" DVD-A hand, that is), doesn't Warner Bros. likewise eschew DTS tracks? I mean, don't they reject DTS to the same extent that Sony rejects MLP?

Not sure I follow. If we're talkin' audio that may be on next gen, hi def video discs, I'm not sure how strong or apt comparisons to what the content providers do via-a-vis audio on standard def DVD-V are.

In other words, I think the (proprietary) politicking behind Sony's heretofore exclusion of MLP on Blu-ray is quite different from Warner Bros. not having supported DTS on DVD-V (Twister, Interview With A Vampire and the Lethal Weapon remasters notwithstanding).

Or were you referring to DTS on Warner DVD-As? Ronstadt's What's New has DTS (and I think Hotel California does also . . . DTS is sometimes on there but that menu option doesn't show up on some titles when placed in a DVD-A-capable player.)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks