DTS Ld's and the Onkyo 898 - No sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Horne, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne Extra

Hi..

I have a euro Onkyo Integra 898 amp.. which so far has been a great purchase..

I also have a pioneer 2950 LD player for my collection of DTS discs. I have noticed that for certain discs I get no sound because it seems the amp cannot lock onto the signal properly. Luckily some of the DTS Ld's do work and once locked I can change discs (i think because the amp once locked stays locked until u change input or signal) and watch the currently silent movies. Now these discs all worked fine before with my old Yamaha amp. So is this a error on Onkyo's part or are the old DTS LD;s not flagged (or rather some where some not) unlike todays DVD's which all work fine?

The Onkyo manual does mention that some discs may not work if the signal has been changed.. I am just wondering what the correct explanation is.. and whether this is a problem of my amp - or just the way new amps process the DTS signal ?

Cheers

Matt

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Certain Pioneer players had this problem with certain DTS LDs -- but only with some receivers and pre/pros. So the problem is really in the combination of all the elements. I experienced this with the first iteration of Lexicon's DTS processing; subsequent software upgrades cured it.

You may be able to get the problems discs to work by reselecting the digital input while the disc is playing. But you'll lose the digital connection as soon as the datastream is paused.

The only real solution is a software upgrade from Onkyo. Or possibly a different LD player.

M.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Or get a reciever that has a DTS mode, thus locking onto the DTS signal. A few of my DTS LD, such as Casper and Schindler's list, would always drop the DTS while using my RCA reciever. I upgraded to a Denon 2802 which locks onto DTS signals and have not experienced any dropouts. I have two LD players, a Pioneer Elite CLD 52 And a CLD 79. I experienced dropouts with both players until I upgraded to the Denon reciever.

4. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Have you tried changing the Digital Format from All to DTS?
    Advanced Menu > Input Setup > Digital Setup > Digital Format DTS

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne Extra

Yes I have changed the input to DTS... Luckily..(I probably did not say this correctly) once I have I locked the signal with a disc (Blade works ok) then I can stop the LD player and swap to the discs which do not work and as long as Ido not change the input on the amp it stays locked to DTS and starts working when I start the new film.
    I was really just wondering what the initial cause of it was.. I wonder what the LD player does to the signal with different discs ?
    Thanks for the help [​IMG]
    Matt