What's new

DTS Laserdiscs....... (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Anyone ever compared the audio on the dts laser of Liar Liar with the Dolby Digital version on laser or dvd? Just curious.

Speed dts laser vs. Speed Five Star dvd? Thanks!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I tend to discount the Jurassic Park dts lasers (lost world) because they were over cooked by about 3db
Just in case anyone doesn't know what he's talking about here... JP, along with many other early DTS lasers had their surround channels encoded too high by accident.

I've never heard the Jurassic Park DTS Laser, but the DD Laser sounds amazing.

Personally my favorite DTS Lasers as far as impressive sound quality are the Disney movies "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and "Pocohantas", they sound amazing. Also recommended are the aforementioned "Schindler's List", "The Crow", and "Jackie Brown".

"Blown Away" sounds like complete ass.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
I do not agree on the Jackie Brown and the Crow Ld's. The are both far from outstanding compared to Casper, Jurassic Park,Lost in Space, Dark City etc.

Declan

Second Unit
For me probably the main reason I want to get Jurassic park on DTS LD is for the "rain". I remember hearing that at the flicks and thinking how real it sounded. I just never got that feeling from the DVD or for that matter the bass that i felt in the cinema did'nt come through as half as good at home.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i wanted to also say the that hunchback dts ld may be the best sounding movie i have.

i have casper on the way so i'll get to hear what everyone else is talking about.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
I second, third and fourth what others have said about Hunchback. The DTS track on the DVD doesn't compare.

Something to add as well: The Hunchback DTS LD may also be the BEST-LOOKING laser I own. It really does hold up pretty well, even when zoomed on a widescreen TV.

Definitely worth picking up if you can.

Gruson

Second Unit
DTS LD Jurassic Park does indeed sound better than the JP DVD DTS.

I still love to use the sound of the LD as demo material.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just checked out casper. wow it is just fabulous. the sound just envelopes you. in the beginning when the kids open that big old mansion door. i felt like it was moving the whole rooom.

and i dont even have a sub hooked up right now(broken)

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'll have to give my jurassic Park DTS LD another spin. I personally didn't think it sounded much better than the DTS dvd. Maybe I missed something.

Declan

Second Unit
well Greg if you ever want to get rid of the JP DTS LD................ look no further;)

I put on the r2 DD5.1 version tonight to have a listen and while the music came across very well as did other spot effects. The bass and atmospheric sound SFX were not as enveloping or powerful as i would have lked or expected.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Declan,
Last year I sold off most of my LaserDisc collection through eBay. My player (Japanese CLD-HF9G) needs some work doing on it (£££) and to be honest my interest in HT was waned somewhat over the past year or so.

Most of my DTS titles have gone now. I still have a small number - Titanic, English Patient, one or two others. I only really keep the LD player around now because of the titles I can't get on DVD.

I've generally been quite disappointed with DTS on DVD. WIth DTS LD you knew you were getting something special and they DID often sound different (i.e. better) than the AC-3 counterparts. There's been one or two DVDs that have impressed me to same degree, but that just down to how the soundtrack has been prepared rather than whether it be encoded in Dolby or DTS. Almost everyting now gets 'dumbed down' to some degree and I think a lot of my old excitement for HT started to decline when DVD got so popular. I love the format but the hobby in general just doesn't hold the same level of appeal for me any more. If you've got a stack of DVDs now, it's nothing special. It's no different to having a CD collection. Though I don't miss the cumbersome discs and frequent side changes, I do miss the 'special' quality of LD - the fact that so few people had them, that despite lower bitrates the audio quality often surpassed the new DVD versions. Things have moved on and it's just not the same anymore.

Anyway, enough of my lamenting :)

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Casper on DTS laser disc was amazing.
The dvd just wouldn't sound like that.
Something needs to be done about dvd, and low bit rates because its killing the people who care about home theater.

Declan

Second Unit
Greg wrote:
Declan,You should keep an eye of ebay for this title. I got mine for $15.
Jesus that was a bargain and a half. I dont have a credit card or a Pay pal account so any stuff i buy from overseas has to be done with a bank draft. Been checking Ebay for ages for a copy of JP on DTS LD but nothing has come up. Bigemma was another site i checked but again nothing.

I think that tomorro i'll look at the back of a few film/home cinema magazines for different 2nd hand dealers and see if they have any DTS LD floating about. Theres a shop in London caled SRS Laserdisc house or something so I think that that will be my first port of call. Gonna track down a copy of JP DTS come heel or high water......... and maybe even Casper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks