What's new

DTS, Inc. launches a variation of of its HD codec named DTS-HD Master Audio Essential (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta

Is it just me or this another product that seems to have only one reason for it's existence, ie. to further confuse an already confused consumer. As if there was a dearth of absolutely redundant codecs, DTS adds to the list of other such codecs, such as Dolby Digital +, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
What's next Sanjay, caffeine-free DTS-HD Master Audio Essential plus iron? :laugh:

I've been a longtime supporter of DTS but this really doesn't make sense. If they think the change is necessary, why not just do it silently? We really do not need another codec name added to the packaging.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Am I wrong, or does this appear to be a hardware-licensing issue? Perhaps a way to extend manufacturers the ability to include a DTS-compatible player-based technology in their Blu-ray players that doesn't cost as much as full DTS backward-compatibility?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks