DTS in cinemas is lowered in volume?. Thank God...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Dallas, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Robert Dallas

I have always been a fan of DTS, but also i had my reservations, i thought it was too annoyingly loud at times.

I had to protect my eardrums, in fact i always asked the manager about the sound format and if he said. DTS i bringed my earmuffs.

But when i saw Jurassic Park 3 last year, i noticed that they lowered the volume.

Before it was like 9 or 10, now is 6 to 7.

I have to say thanks for DTS and the studios for making DTS a rousing sonic experience, but not an annoyingly loud one.

Attack of the Clones was fantastic in DTS-ES, at volume 7!.

Not annoying, just rousing.

2. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

That's funny. When I watched JP3 in the theater, it was in Dolby Digital. I noticed Pearl Harbor was WAY TOO LOUD in the theater though.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

4. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

The last movie I saw that I know was in DTS in the theaters was "The Mummy Returns" in St. Cloud, MN. The volume was excruciatingly loud and there was no bass to boot. There are two DTS theaters closer to where I live (Alexandria) that sound fairly good, though. I saw Ep. II in one of those. Decent overall volume, but the sound quality was pretty anemic (I have yet to hear the power that I'm sure is contained in Ep. II's soundtrack). I've had better luck with Dolby Digital theaters. I have a feeling that many DTS theaters don't know how to properly route the LFE information (which is contained in the surrounds on theatrical DTS tracks)