What's new

DTS HD and DD HD recievers yet? (1 Viewer)

Ken Burkstrum

Stunt Coordinator
Scuse me mates, I was just wondering if they've started making affordable recievers that are compatible with the newer formats that'll come with the new wave of video dics. I've been waiting for a reciever no more then $500 that's a good match for my Athenas that supports these new formats. I'm looking to get it over with as soon as I can.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I was wondering the same thing when I first heard about the new formats, but all you really need are the multichannel inputs that can be found on most newer receivers anyway. You just let the HD-DVD/Blu-ray player do the decoding and run the signal through the multichannel inputs on the receiver instead of using a digital connection like you would with DD/DTS.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
High-end models don't even have the new formats, never mind affordable units.

Assuming some high-end models are introduced by Summer / early Fall '06 with the new formats, the technology won't tricle down to the lower-end units for at least a year after that, IMO.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While HD-DVD has Dolby Digital Plus built into Toshiba's player. I am not aware of anyone that currently has DD+ or DTS-HD available. I have not heard of any surround reciever, pre/pro or outboard processor that has any updated surround formats. I also have not heard of any hardware that is slated to come out anytime soon. One of the things that sucks about the new HD-DVD titles is that there is no DTS-HD tracks. I believe that someone here has claimed that the audio track can be played back in DTS. But I honestly dont think that is possible. With the absence of a DTS track how can you playback a movie in DTS? I have been trying to find out when Denon will offer DD+ and DTS-HD in there surround recievers but they say there are no current plans to offer ether one. Denon also plans to wait on building ether HD-DVD or Blu-ray player until a winner has been choosen. Meridian has also taken that wait and see approuch. I dont believe we will see a Lexicon processor with ether surround format anytime soon.

This puts a huge damper on upgrading my aging Yamaha RX-V995 to something more current and useable. I wanted to buy the Denon AVR-4306 but will wait for the new surround formats to be available. Its nice to have 1080p HDMI switching but without new surround formats, I guess I will wait.

Come on Sony whats the hold up, lets have Blu-ray HD allready, rofl.

Daniel*

Auditioning
I hooked up a system running from the HD-DVD Toshiba player to a Toshiba DLP via HDMI, and then ran a fiber optic cable out of the TV to a Yamaha reciever and it seemed to sounds pretty good, although I couldn't tell if it was the new DTS_HD, because according to my understanding, the fiber optic bandwith can't handle that of the new encodings. When i ran a fiber optic straight from the HD-DVD player to the Yamaha, the reciever flipped out and kept flipping between "Dolby Digital" and "DTS". Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Dave & Daniel, the following is from an article in the The Digital Bits (scroll down 1/3):

This may also be the reason the HD-DVD titles out now don't have Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD either.

Even CD-quality LPCM i.e. 44.kHz/16bit will sound better than the present Dolby/DTS formats. IIRC I read here somewhere most studios right now only use up to a 48kHz sampling rate anyway.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

It is Dolby Digital but apparently confuses many receivers into that behavior. I have read about the problem at AVSforum, but haven't read of a fix for the problem.

Chris

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been hoping that new recievers would have come out around the same time HD-DVD and Blu-ray comes out. I have been waiting for certain features to come out on a reciever. Before replacing my aging Yamaha RX-V995 and its getting frustrating. A few recievers have 1080p switching but no DD+ or DTS-HD yet :angry:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
*bump*. anyone have news on DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD enabled a/v receivers?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i was thinking the cheaper alternatives like denon's 3806 or somn like it.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

It's possibly not your audio processor that doesnt have the "Audio Goods" its the player and software.
I've been using a video scaler for the last 4 years and have been quite pleased so my excitement for HD-DVD has been the new audio.

If you have a processor with 8ch analog ins', then regardless of whether you have HDMI, if 7.1 DD o DTS was on the disc you would be abe to enjoy it becase the player decodes.

I'm waiting for a combi with 8ch analog outs as well as discs with HiREZ audio.

Peter M.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
sure, people can definitely do that. i have a 5.1 analog in myself but i'd prefer to have HDMI i/o.

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
my opinion only at this time....what an absolute mess this new format has been born into. Hd dvd vs. Blue ray...its a war, and in a war only one comes out the victor. In the meantime, alot of us will invest hard earned monies into one format while the other one prevails...then we are stuck with dvds that won't be able to be watched at all----just like it was when Betamax and VHS were on the market at the same time, then there was one. Only time will tell.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
anyone hear any news on the a/v receiver front yet? i have 2 friends asking me advice about new a/v receivers. they're willing to spend $1,000 to 2,000 for one. i told them to get an el cheapo $300-500 receiver that decodes all current formats and wait for DTS-HD, TrueHD and DTS+ a/v receivers to come out with HDMI upconvert. that's when they should upgrade.

anyone hear any news about the newer a/v receivers taht accepts HDMI DTS-HD, TrueHD, DD+ and decode it? anyone?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Ha ha - that bottom component is displaying a radio station. Radio?? Who listens to that? That is sooooo 80s.

For exposure to good new music we have the much more modern.....er....uh.....

never mind. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks