DTS fanfare

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny Foor, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody think that the new DTS fanfare is kind of wimpy sounding? The one I am talking about is the one showing the inside of a piano when it strikes a chord. I think they should bring back the older one with the digital logo and the words flying around the DVD with the great sound effects spread across all five channels. Does anyone agree with me on this?

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Oh yes man, I very much agree with you. I love the original "digital experience" trailer. The "sonic landscape" trailer allright but I still like the original.
    DTS thought the "digital experience" trailer was too "in-yor-face", I personally like that. They wanted one that showed how DTS is not just for BIG BANG action and wanted to show something that showed how DTS has its extra subleties. I agree but gimme mah IN YO FACE!!! [​IMG]

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The only thing I don't like about the 'Piano trailer is it's length - I wish it was longer.
    The original 'flying CD' trailer sounds very dated to me. The piano is a more refined.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I think it would be really cool if they had a DTS earthquake logo opening.
    Have rumble sounds with things crumbling in the back. The sound of the ground cracking and splitting open, then the DTS logo either falls apart, or falls through the ground...just an idea!
    ------------------

5. Kenny Foor

I agree with both of you. They should go with what the movie is , lets' say you have the action, horror, and sci-fi movies.they should have the digital experience trailer, and dramas, comedies, andother generes should have the sonic landscape. I also think that Dolby should put some of the cool fanfare trailers on the DVDs too . When AC-3 and Dolby digital first came out on laserdisc every movie to come out in theese two had cool fanfare at the begining of the disc.

6. Scott Simonian

Oh, I didnt add that either.
    Kenny, I agree once more. My friends and I are allways saying that they should base the fanfare on genre. When I got JP and Jaws and the like, I was dissipointed that the "sonic landscape" trailer was on them. Especially Jurassic Park, (the very DTS title we all know).
    But like movies like American Beauty (great movie), the "sonic landscape" and for the all night action blockbuster we should have the original "digital experience"
    Allthough I agree with Rob and John, it is a little dated and I wish DTS would make (another) new trailer. I like Johns idea. It would be cool if instead, the trailer took place in someones theater, and on their display, the DTS logo rolls up (something new), and their theater began to fall apart. Same as yours but in a different location.
    I dont know but that would be sweet. [​IMG]

7. Kenny Foor

That would be pretty sweet. I think they should come up with a whole bunch like Dolby did

8. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I love the old flying disc/digital experience intro!!
    The piano one is good but weak compared to the old one. DTS does need to make new ones though.
    I treasure my 3 DTS discs with the old one.
    CE3K, Haunting, SPR
    The rest are the "piano" intro. [​IMG]

9. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

Slightly off-topic, but I also miss the old THX logos. The current one with the cow sound effects is much too boring.

10. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The Exploding disc intro is getting really old. It is very in your face, but getting really dated. The piano oneis cool, but waaayyy too subtle for my tastes. DTS needs to make a new intro pronto. OR at least specialized ones for very special movies, kinda like the T2 THX thing. I love playing that intro in DTS.
    ------------------

11. Sean Moon

Here is a good one for DTS to do. Although I wont be able to enjoy the extra channel of it for a while, they need a DTS-ES logo intro. Start with the screen looking like metal with total silence. Then from the rear left speaker a, the sound of a laser starts as the beam shoots into the screen and begins to cut the metal, and the sound makes contact on the front left.
    Then, either a second laser could start from the rear center and meet on the front center, and then a third laser start on the rear right.OR the first laser can travel from the rear left into the rear center with the front center following. The laser makes its way until it ends on the front and rear right speakers. THe laser this whole time has been carving out DTS-ES into the metal. Then the laser carves the box around the logo, as the sound(this would be interesting to hear if mixed right)would pan from lower left channel and move in a path around the bottom of all the speakers and to the top, ending where it began.
    Then, the excess metal explodes out into little shards, much like the exploding disc, leaving the DTS-ES logo on hte screen alone, hearing the trickling sounds of little pieces of metal falling all around. Then we hear from behind moving forward the "This theater features" signs fly into the screen, leaving only a screen that says
    "THIS THEATER FEATURES DTS_ES DIGITAL SOUND"
    Damn that would be cool to see!!
    ------------------

12. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

The Flying Disc is old skool. It's like Dolby City (eck...every goddamn ac3 LD has this).
    However dts have an agenda. They think a trailer should be an audio appetiser - something that whets and cleans the senses for the main dish. So there should be some degree of subtlety.
    Saying that, 'Piano' has some decent bass.
    T.

13. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

I kinda like the piano and so does Yamaha.Apretty cool Dolby Digital fanfare is at the beginning of the new Akira dvd.Check it out.

14. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

The new DTS intro has got to go. I skip it everytime. It's almost as bad as the 10 year old THX intro which I still can't believe THX still uses it today. It was great in it's day, but come on, let's move on!
    Jeff

15. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

The DD intro on the Akira dvd is the Aurora trailer.
    Very nice... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
    My DVD List

16. Sean Moon

I want to see the Dolby Train trailer again, saw it at Pearl Harbor, but the projector wasnt aligned on the trailer.
    ------------------

17. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

I really like the DTS intro on the Terminator 2 SE disc, where they combine the old DTS intro with the THX logo. It is the only intro I have seen that matches the theme of the movie.

18. Scott Simonian

Hey Justin, and welcome to the Home Theater Forum! [​IMG]
    But, If I may be blunt, What the hell do you mean? They didnt combine the trailers, it was just a brand new THX trailer. The original DTS fanfare should have preceded it.
    Sorry I wasnt trying to be mean. I just watched Platoon for my first time and am all pumped up. [​IMG]

19. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

Maybe he means when the THX is blown apart and shatters on the ground??
    Kinda like the disc exploding...
    ------------------
    "Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
    My DVD List

20. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Oh subtlety shmutlty! I can't stand the piano DTS intro! It's boring. I really like the earthquake idea, that would really rock.
    ------------------
    The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!