What's new

DTS-ES vs DTS 6.1 (1 Viewer)

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at buying either the Denon 2802 or Marantz SR7200. While I understand most of the differences and similarities between the two (refering to the specs on their websites), I would like to know if there is a difference between DTS-ES (Denon 2802) and DTS 6.1 (Marantz SR7200).
Please help

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There does appear to be a difference, which Marantz is apparently trying to conceal by using misleading terminology. Its description of the 7200 refers to "Dolby Digital 6.1". There's no such thing.
Denon uses the correct terminology: DTS-ES. There are two varieties of DTS-ES: matrix and discrete. The Denon 2802 lists both as features. Only the discrete version can legitimately be called "6.1". And Dolby Digital has no equivalent.
I suspect the Marantz has only the matrix version of DTS-ES, but you'd need to confirm that with someone who has hands-on familiarity with the product.
The difference between the matrix and discrete versions of DTS-ES is simply that the matrix version extracts a center rear channel from the left and right rears, while the discrete version has an independent center rear channel. The difference isn't terribly significant right now, as there are only a few titles encoded in DTS-ES discrete.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 04, 2001 at 02:32 PM]

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but the list is starting to grow. Thanks to Anchor Bay. :)
By my understanding, only a piece of equipment with the official "DTS-ES Extended Surround" logo on the front has the DTS licensed decoding software for ES Discrete 6.1, ES Matrix, and Neo:6.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks