DTS ES/THX EX Back Speaker question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Pobuda, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

Just got the Denon AVR-4802 and am wondering about the surround back speakers. Should they be the same as my Surrounds ? I have Polk F/X300i as my side surround set in the dipole mode. Thanks in advance for your help.

Heres a list of what I'm working with:

Denon Avr-4802 receiver

Toshiba SD-5700 DVD

Mitsubishi WT46809 RP-HDTV

Mitsubishi SR-HD5 Hi-Def Receiver

JVC-XL5000 CDR

Polk RTA 8 Mains

Polk CS400i center

Polk fx300i rear (side)

Velodyne CT150 sub

Sony PS2

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

If you are running a 6.1 setup and need a solo rear center, check out the Boston Acoustics VR-M EX. They sell the speaker solo and it's a dipole to mesh well with your system. Sounds incredible too for that application.

3. Dave Pobuda

Wouldn't I be better off going with a speaker that is timbre matched to all my other speakers ?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

While I agree that timbre matching is an extremely important variable...it's the 6th channel we're talking about here and economics comes into play. Most 6.1 applications aren't going to use the entire frequency spectrum and it's use in practicality is actually quite limited. Even if the world converts to either SACD or DVD-Audio, that's still only 5 channel sound and that rear center wouldn't even be used in this application. All I was saying is that unless the user intends to go to a 7.1 setup, buying a pair of speakers just to insure timbre matching when you are only going to use it for the 6th channel seems a little frivolous. You are going to end up putting one speaker in the closet.

6. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Your rear speakers matching are not as important as the front 3 but they should if possible.

I use KG .5's for the rear sides, and KG 1.5's for the rear backs or center, for a total of 4 surround speakers. Even if a DVD is not recorded in DTS ES or THX EX the rear "centers" are still used.....just in a matrixed format.

So if you can get another pair of the same speakers that you are currently using, that will give you the results you are looking for. If you don't get the same speakers, you will notice the difference when they are in use.

7. John Garcia

John

8. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand

9. chaz fifer

chaz fifer Agent

I also own a denon 4802, I have polk fx500i's for the sides and backs.I'm running the sides on dipole and the backs on bipole.This is the setting that i've found that sounds best.
    hope this helps

10. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

11. derek

derek Second Unit

I would have to concur with John here. The center back channel IS full range in DDEX, DTSES matrix and DTSES discrete. Because the surrounds in 5.1 are discrete full range...and the center back is derived from them in DDEX/DTSES matrix (just like the full-range center in Pro-Logic) the center back is therefore full range. Only the surround channel in normal DPL are bandwidth limited.

12. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    Derek,
    Paul

13. John Garcia

John
    Full bandwidth or not, my point is that there is a LOT of information from the rear center, matrixed or not. It is quite a bit more notable when listening to ES/EX material, but it is still present in matrixed 5.1. The information is appreciated, though I don't know what you get out of arguing a relatively moot point. My rear center has plenty of bandwidth, and I stick by my recommendation that the rear center be treated as an equally critical speaker.

When you buy tires for your car, you don't get great front tires and crappy ones for the rear do you? (I certainly hope not).

14. Dave Pobuda

Thanks for all the input....I've decided to go with another pair of the Polk fx300i's...now...about this dipole vs. bibole swith ?...am not real sure of the differece between these...

15. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    John,

16. chaz fifer

chaz fifer Agent

When a speaker is a "dipole",the sound comming from both sides is out of phase which means that when the cone on one side of the speaker is moving outward,the cone on the oppsite side is moving inward.this causes some cancellation of some of the lower frequencies, and the resulting effect is a difuse sound which is difficult to localize.This creates a spacious soundfield from the surround speaker for accompanying ambiance of a soundtrack.
    When the speaker is switched to "bipole", the cones of the speaker on both sides move outward and inward at the same time.The result is no cancellation of any of the frequencies, and the sound from the speaker can be heard more directly.In essence, its lke a cross between a dipole and a direct radiating speaker.
    hope this helps