What's new

DTS-ES question (1 Viewer)

Marc Go

Agent
I hope this is not too dumb a question. I have a new HT setup that includes an Onkyo 595 receiver and a Pioneer C503 DVD player. Both decode DTS and I am running a 5.1 Polk speaker/subwoofer system.
The question is regarding DTS-ES DVD's, which I understand are geared for a 6.1 speaker setup. Can I utilize the DTS capability on these DVD's for my 5.1 setup? I am hoping that there is a choice in the audio menu for either DTS or DTS-ES (as well as DD)? Is this correct or should I stay away from DVD's that say DTS-ES on them...opting only for "plain" DTS DVD's?
Sorry if I sound new to HT, but I am! Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Can I utilize the DTS capability on these DVD's for my 5.1 setup?
Yes you can. No special menu selection will be necessary. All DTS-ES titles are already set up for standard 5.1 playback (the same is true with all DD Surround EX titles).
M.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Don't worry, Marc. DVDs that are encoded with DTS ES and DTS ES discrete are completely compatible with a 5.1 set-up.
DJ

Marc Go

Agent
Thanks guys. Now another question, what is the difference between DTS-ES and DTS-ES discrete? Thanks.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Marc,
The difference beween DTS-ES matrix (which is the same as DD-EX basically) and DTS-ES Discrete is that the discrete soundtrack has just that, discrete rear surround data whereas the matrix version only has the rear surround data matrixed within the two side surrounds.
With DTS-ES discrete and a capable decoder the decoder decodes the extra data and then removes it from the side surrounds thus perserving the discrete nature of each of the channels. That's why DTS-ES discrete is backwards compatible with any DTS decoder.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks