DTS ES...no sound?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JoshGivens, Nov 17, 2004.

1. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

I loaded up Gladiator the other night and selected the DTS ES option for sound. The movie started and there was no sound coming out.

I guess I should explain what I have now so that maybe you can tell me what is causing this or fill me in on what I don't know.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5790 (7.1) receiver currently set up in a 5.1 configuration until I get my speakers. My Toshiba DVD player is hooked to the receiver via digital audio cable. Are there some settings that I need to change or will my setup not push this source?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Josh, you need to go into the service menu on your DVD player and change the setting so that it will send out the DTS signal to your receiver. I'm not sure what that is for your particular player, but it's a DVD player setting problem you are having. This question gets posed to the forum all the time.

3. JoshGivens

I did a search for DTS ES but didn't really find anything that wasn't describing a movie feature. Thanks for the input. I'll check on it tonight when I get home from work.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    "ES" isn't the problem, it's your DTS settings, assuming you are using a digital coax cable (NOT an analog audio cable). If you don't have a digital coax cable, use a composite video cable instead, as they are the same.

This is available in the FAQ:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...260#post608260

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Josh, in the setup menu for you DVD player there should be an option for both DTS and Dolby Digital audio output. Both these should be set to either "bitstream" or "on" depending on the brand and model of your player. Assuming your player is hooked to your A/V receiver via either a digital coaxial cable or a digital optical cable, setting the audio options on the DVD player like I described above will solve your problem. Although John is right in saying that a composite video cable can be used as a digital coaxial cable for hookup between your DVD player and receiver, you might want to get a little better quality cable from Wal-Mart or Radio Shack. You don't need to go "Monster Cable" quality, but you'll be happier with a better quality cable. Both these stores have cables with gold plated leads that will run you less than 20 bucks and have a better build quality than the thin cables that usually come in the box with most A/V components.

6. JoshGivens

I do have a video cable hooked up as my digital audio cable right now and I plan on getting a better cable next time I get the chance to go to the store. I'll check on the settings tonight on my Toshiba but I thought that I had my audio settings set to the best possible output. I'll double check.

7. JoshGivens

Well I guess I'm gonna have to upgrade DVD players now. This one doesn't have the DTS ES option, the highest setting is Dolby Digital.

So...anyone got any recommendations for a better DVD player? I bought this Progressive Scan Toshiba last year for ~$90 on sale, but I guess it wasn't as good as I thought it was.

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Josh, I would be very surprised if your player wasn't able to output a DTS signal (forget the ES, that's just a version of DTS...any player than can output a DTS signal can output an ES signal as well). Hell, my 6 year old Sony player can output a DTS signal. I would check your manual thoroughly to make sure you aren't missing a setting somewhere.

Heck, I bought a Toshiba SD-3800 last year for $75 and it outputs a DTS signal no problem.

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Josh, does the setup menu have NO reference to DTS at all? Only the cheapest of the cheap players I have seen have no DTS option. The DVD players in the 25-40 buck range I have seen only have DD no DTS. This is not at all surprising since most of these "el cheapos" aren't even PS and most just have S-Video and composite connections. All other though, even the way, way off brands usually have DTS decoding. Wow, a Tosh PS player, that's very unusual if indeed it has no DTS deconding. My very first Panasonic player I purchased back in 1997 had DTS output. My Dad has it now and it plays back perfectly. Check again, you might be missing something in the setup.

10. John Garcia

John
    If it doesn't have DTS in the digital audio setup menu, then you are correct, you will need a new DVD player.

My first DVD player, a Panasonic A300U did not have DTS capability and it was $500, but that was a first generation DVD player and DTS was not firmly committed on DVD yet.

There are plenty of good players right around $100.

11. JoshGivens

I just bought it, less than a year ago. I meant to get the model number off of it last night but I forgot to. It has digital audio outputs (that I'm using) as well as individual R,L,SURR,SURL,SUBWFR,CENTER outputs, and I believe that it says DTS on the front of the player. I checked the sound setup last night and read the book, but didn't see anything about a DTS setting that would allow anything other than a dolby digital setup even though it mentions DTS in the book.

If I get the model number I'll check it out, but I read several reviews on this particular model of DVD player before I bought it and every one of them were good so now I'm wondering what's up with that as well.

12. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

I would be suprised if your player would not work. I have a Yamaha DVD player and it doesn't say anything about DTS in the audio set up. It does not say anything about Dolby Digital either. In the audio set up it gives me the Option of PCM or all other signals (DD & DTS). That takes care of everything. May be yours has a setting like that you are missing My old RCA DVD player would do DTS and it was really old.

13. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Josh, if it says DTS on the front of the system, then yes, it has DTS playback capability. Read your manual thoroughly and you will probably find something in there pertaining to DTS playback. Usually there will be setting in there that must be changed for DTS playback. Most DVD players have DD enabled by default, but you must go in and activate DTS. Would the player be a Panasonic model? Some Panasonics are about the only players, other than SACD and DVD-A capable players, I know of that have a separate subwoofer output. If it is a Panasonic, then there is definately a DTS enabling function.

14. JoshGivens

I checked the model number and it is a Toshiba SD-4900. I checked the menu settings for audio and the highest setting on the player is Dolby Digital. I've been able to play every other DVD that I have in what I assume to be DTS sound but the DTS ES option on Gladiator is the only thing that I've had problems with. I'll mess with it some more now that I'm home and report back on my progress or lack thereof.

15. JoshGivens

The settings that I have under audio setup are:

Dolby Digital/PCM
    Stream/PCM
    PCM

I have Dolby Digital selected right now.

16. JoshGivens

I set it to stream/PCM and that got it working correctly. Now I've got to go back and re-listen to all my movies to see the difference, LOL.[​IMG]

I bet that will make a difference in Master and Commander?

I'll make another post about my settings for the Yamaha HTR-5790 settings.

Thanks for all of the help that kept me messing with it until I got it.

17. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

I didn't think the EX/ES settings worked unless you selected seven-speakers as your sound setup in the '1 BASIC MENU' menu. As I recall, I didn't get any output until I did so.

18. John Garcia

John
    EX/ES will not be available on most receiver unless you have all the speakers configured. You can still play back EX/ES material, your receiver just knows you don't have the other speakers and plays back in "normal" mode.