DTS-ES is more Quiet?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MikeGee, Jun 14, 2005.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I just bought myself Blade Trinity on DVD. It features two surround sound modes, 5.1 DolbyDigital EX and 6.1 DTS ES.
    I am running the Pioneer 1014 tx with 7 Athena speakers all manually adjusted.
    Why is it that when i run the DD the volume is alot higher than if i run the DTS track? I'm guessing because the both rear surround channels are not just doubling up the rear surrounds as they would in a 5.1 mode... Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry i couldnt figure out which forum this suited..

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Two different formats, two different mixes, so you could easily have two different levels. You can't really compare the two as far as level goes, because they were likely mixed in different studios, by different engineers. Everything is not mixed to the same level.

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Also, to me, DTS sounds more transparent than DD. DD sounds more forward, and that might give the impression that it's louder.

Doug

4. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

both dd ex and dts es have different, separate information going to the rear surrounds than to the side surrounds. Dts 6.1 es has a separate rear center channel in the mastered soundtrack, whereas DD ex uses the side surrounds and matrixes the rear channel. If the source is encoded DD ex, rather than just using the DD ex setting on your receiver to listen to a regular DD 5.1 soundtrack, I believe there is information encoded onto the soundtrack about what to send to the rear channels, but it is still read from the surround channels. Both DD ex and dts es will come out as a 6.1 mix, which means the rear surrounds will be identical if you have a 7.1 set up. As far as I know, the only way to get separate signals to the rears in a 7.1 setup at this time is to use dd PLIIx, "x" being the key. Pro Logic II is still really only 6.1.

As far as volumes, this is very common. As was mentioned, DD and DTS are mastered separately, sometimes more effort being put towards mastering one rather than the other. That why if you ask "which is better, DD or DTS" you will always get "depends on the movie".

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

it's most likely just a difference in the way the mix was done. Odd though, DTS mixes historically tend to be a little hotter than the DD mix, if they are different.

6. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I believe i figured out the problem. I'm just posting this as a possible solution if anyone ever has the same problem as i did.
    My dvd player has the choice for DTS either PCM or Bitstream. I switched it to Bitstream and now its equal or louder volume and my reciever displays either ES+Neo 6 or Discrete EX
    Way better sound IMO too

7. John S

John S Producer

Ok, makes sense you were only getting Neo:6 DTS before this change, now your really getting the DTS Mulit-Channel.