DTS ES disks???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I just wont to say or ask I guess why arent there more of these disks out yet. I think there are alot of really good movies that have been released lateley but none of them with the DTS ES surround,or at bust very very few.
    I would just like to see some more of these out there I would even compormize some extra features for it.I dont wont to see it really come down to that but I think some disks have some really lame stuff on them that I must say I wouldent miss a bit.Or even keep up with the two disk sets one for the feature one for the extras,I think that is a really nice idea & wouldent mind more like that. [​IMG]

2. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Since a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track uses the same bit footprint as a full bitrate or half bitrate 5.1 discrete DTS track, there wouldn't be a need to drop features just to add DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 rather than a DTS 5.1 mix.

However, studios do need to do a digital remix or pull out the master 6.1 discrete audio stems from the archives to create a special discrete 6.1 master for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 encoding. I say it's worth the extra effort as all the ES 6.1 tracks I have heard so far are better than the 5.1 matrix EX/ES tracks (obviously, since a discrete back channel is better than a matrixed one). DTS can also encode at 24 bit resolution as well, so the best quality digital source material should be used.

Dan